Toilet regression in 4 year old

(4 Posts)
Mummy2aRockstar Fri 16-Sep-16 17:06:31

This is a bit of a long one sorry but I'm stuck what to do next.
My 4 year old son has been dry during the day since he was 2 but does sometimes wet the bed at night.
When he was at nursery he had the odd accident either though first day nerves or too busy playing but it wasn't a big issue.
All summer he's been dry and last week he started primary school.

We practised pulling his school trousers up and down and he has no problems. I also made a point of showing him where the toilets are on his first morning.

He has now been at school for a week and a half and has wet himself every day. His teacher asked me if he needs reminding and although I said usually he doesn't we agreed that she would remind him through out the day.

Today he has wet himself 4 times and his teacher actually asked me if he was toilet trained shock. She said that she had been reminding him every 30 minutes but he just sat and weed himself.

I've tried talking to him about it, asking if he is worried about anything or why he didn't tell anyone he needed the toilet. He tells me nothing is worrying him and he does seem very happy and settled. I asked him to help me go to the toilet and he took me straight there so I know he knows the way.
He doesn't have any symptoms of a uti or anything else unusual.

What should I do next?

pontificationcentral Fri 16-Sep-16 17:12:51

Check for UTI anyway.
Ds had all sorts of toilet avoidance issues at school. He didn't like anyone being able to hear him, so was essentially paralyzed by fear and anxiety about the public nature of the loos. We tried the teacher sending him to the toilets, but he just went and stood in there and then came back. You can lead a horse to water...

Good luck. Probably just the new routine and general immaturity. Would ds respond to a bit of bribery?

DoinItFine Fri 16-Sep-16 17:16:25

I've had a bit of this, mostlyvwetting the bed at night.

At the moment I'm putting it down to exhaustion.

How tired is he?

Mummy2aRockstar Fri 16-Sep-16 17:28:32

He might respond to bribery but I'm not sure what, he has a full school dinner plus fruit and milk so more food wouldn't be a good option.
I did say I would treat him to a new toy if he could stay dry but that's obviously not working.

He is very tired by the end of the day but he's not wetting himself when he gets home despite falling asleep eating his tea some nights.

He has no problems using public toilets and uses the school one's when we get there in the morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now