Feeling like an utter failure...

(4 Posts)
Geegee4 Fri 16-Sep-16 13:09:05

Am struggling with potty training my youngest now 2y 9 months. She refuses to wee at all on the potty and stayed dry this morning until 1pm. She then dashed into another room and flooded it. I have been trying to follow all the tips (potty in same room, being positive, article rewards, her choice of pants etc) but she just doesn't ever tell me she needs to go. The only successes have been when I've lifted her into potty and just had lucky timing.

My in laws are all coming. This weekend and their DD of same age has been trained since 18m. I feel so judged by then most of the time - I'm not British- and they see me and my 'ways' as all wrong.

I love my little one, she's silly and fun and full of life but I just can't seem to get her potty trained. Help!?

Geegee4 Fri 16-Sep-16 13:09:37

That should be sticker rewards!

Imfinehowareyou Fri 16-Sep-16 13:42:40

The best tip is to wait till they're ready. Have the potty available but don't worry if she doesn't use it. My first DC trained much earlier than my second DC. All children are different. With my second child I wasn't worried like you do with your first so when she finally decided to use the potty it just went from nappies to potty with no stress/reward charts etc. Most people who claim their child is trained at such an early age are not being entirely truthful. To me, a potty trained child takes themselves to the potty when they realise they need it, pull their own pants down and up and possibly even wash their hands too (if they can reach the sink). I have been around people who say their child is trained but they put the child on the potty/loo at regular intervals and are just lucky to catch the wee at the right time. the child is unable to sort themselves out. My first DC was fine (still some accidents when having too much fun at preschools) from 2:9 and my second child was about 3:3. Hope this helps.

SauvignonPlonker Sat 17-Sep-16 20:08:51

My DD is 3yr 5 m & doing exactly the same thing, if it's any consolation. She asks to wear pants, then withholds until she has an accident, has never done a wee in the toilet or potty. In think she's the only child of her age who is not toilet trained.

I've decided to leave it, as she becomes increasingly agitated if pushed, even a little.

So, until the day that she tells me she needs to go, pull- ups it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now