Should I stop potty training?!

(5 Posts)
123girlsandboys321 Sat 06-Aug-16 09:48:20

Hi there

My lo will be 2 next week, we started potty training on Thursday and she's good with poos but doesn't realise about wees until she has started doing one. She also seems to wee if she gets scared (both times the Hoover has been turned on), or if she's preoccupied doing something like eating dinner. She also got really upset about going to bed, kept asking for the potty even when she'd only just been. Is this normal? Any tips would be great! Thanks

YumYumThePig Sat 06-Aug-16 09:51:00

I'd leave it a bit. It sounds like it not clicked with her yet and she has only just turned 2.

I've only just got my youngest out of daytime nappies and he's 3.5!

There's no rush

Flossiesmummy Sat 06-Aug-16 09:55:55

I think it depends how long you've been trying for. If it's only been a few days or a couple of weeks, continue. When we learn a new skill, it doesn't happen instantly. A lot of people say if a child isn't instantly dry, then they're "not ready". While sometimes this might be the case, oftentimes they just need chance to practice.

If you've been potty training for months, with very little progress, then perhaps they truly aren't ready.

123girlsandboys321 Sat 06-Aug-16 10:08:07

Ok thanks! I'll see how she does this weekend and then decide. It's hard to know if changing back to nappies will be too confusing? Also, would you then put the potties away for a while?

PhloppysFonics Sat 06-Aug-16 11:27:15

It depends on how important it is to you too. We persevered because we had a tight deadline and wanted to crack it one particular summer. We couldn't have waited. The perseverance paid off. It does take
time and even when you think they've got it there will still be accidents!

Have potties in different places so they're easily accessible and pick up on triggers eg make sure you warn her when you're about to switch on the Hoover and ask her if she needs to go before you do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now