To give up or persevere?

(10 Posts)
Twodogsandahooch Mon 01-Aug-16 20:20:11

DD2 is just 3. We didn't rush into potty training partly because she had toddler diarrhoea, partly because of laziness and partly because we left it quite late with DD1 and it was really easy.

We got back from holiday last week and decided that Saturday was going to be the day. Star chart ready. New knickers ready. She was very excited about getting out of nappies.

We have done three days and I am on the cusp of reverting to nappies. She managed 2 wees on potty /loo on day 1, 1 yesterday and none today. All of these were initiated by me. She doesn't seem to have any awareness of when she need to wee and doesn't seem at all bothered by wetting herself.

Should I just go back to nappies and try again in a month.

goodenoughmum88 Mon 01-Aug-16 20:26:42

Yes. I've only potty trained a boy but waited until he told me he didn't want to wear nappies anymore. Awareness had been there for a while. I wouldn't flog it but be breezy and say maybe not right now. She's probably tired from holiday and distracted by being at hone with all of her stuff too after being away which'll make it harder?

ReluctantCamper Mon 01-Aug-16 20:33:12

Yeah, I'd stop and try again in a couple of months. Why put everyone through it if she's not ready.

Ahem, just to derail your thread a bit, my ds2 had toddler diarrhoea. When did your DDs clear up? I've been thinking we'll never potty train, the thought of liquid shit all over the house is just too much!

Twodogsandahooch Mon 01-Aug-16 20:37:02

Thanks good enough. I think I am leaning towards stopping. I don't know why but with her personality I thought it would be easier than with her big sister.

Twodogsandahooch Mon 01-Aug-16 20:38:24

Reluctant it has got significantly better over the past 3 months or so. Big relief.

ReluctantCamper Mon 01-Aug-16 20:45:37

That's good to hear * TwoDogs*, my DS is 22 months, so it sounds like I might have another year or so. I never knew toddler diahrroea was a thing until I had a toddler that had it!

mrsvilliers Mon 08-Aug-16 14:16:36

Same experience over here OP with dd 2.7. I've just stopped, she asked to go back to nappies and if I'm honest I think having her brother around is too distracting for her so I might wait until he's back at school now.

2Cats1Tot Wed 24-Aug-16 13:42:58

We are in this exact situation. Just turned 3 DD appears to have no warning that she is about to wee. We tried back at Easter to potty train but gave up after 3 days and many accidents. Couple of poos but no wees in potty.. we tried again this weekend and she refused to sit on it to try and failed to tell me when she had even done a wee when I could see she had! following....

gubbinsy Wed 24-Aug-16 15:28:54

We've just given up withDS 2.9 - poos quite happily but weed everywhere - all getting stressed so backing off. Feels like we've failed though - did 3.5 days and couldn't really see improvement. Hoping not messed it up!

Blossominspring Mon 29-Aug-16 14:53:53

We've just given up too. Tried DS 2.8 for three days as we hoped he might be ready but he's got no awareness that a wee or a poo is coming and was getting so so upset about being asked to sit on the potty or the loo. Very stressful for everyone. We had a chat with him and said we'd try again in a few weeks as weeing and pooing was not worth being sad about. Feels like the right thing but he's our first so really we've not got a clue! Oh dear! confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now