Help!! 3yo won't potty train

(5 Posts)
Frozentinkerbelle1 Mon 01-Aug-16 14:44:01

Hi

I am in need of help. I am wanting to potty train my 3 yo boy in the holidays but he screams every time I get potty out or try and get him on potty. He won't wear underpants either. I don't know what to do. He is too happy in his nappy.

He is behind with his speech so can't overly communicate properly.

Any help would be appreciated.

minipie Mon 01-Aug-16 14:56:11

Is there a reason you need to potty train him now - eg is he starting at a pre school which requires it?

If there is no time pressure, then I would suggest a softly softly approach to start with. Maybe have a potty lying around at bathtime for a couple of days but no pressure to do anything. Then maybe ask if he wants to try it just before bath - but if he doesn't then back off. Keep going until he's not scared of it any more and is willing to have a try. Then once he's been peeing in it at bathtime (or having a go) then move on to potty training "proper".

Since he's a boy you could also make it more fun by eg painting something for him to aim at on the bottom of the potty, or have a little ball in there for him to aim for.

Daytona79 Mon 01-Aug-16 15:09:40

What about using seat on toilet and changing him to nappy pull up pants to get him used to idea .?

Imavinoops Mon 01-Aug-16 15:27:56

My little boy is 3, autistic and doesn't speak so obviously it's slightly different but he was happy in a nappy too and wouldn't go to the potty. We started with a potty in the living room and letting him run around naked. If he started doing a we we would run him to the potty and he stood and did his wee rather than sitting. He seemed to like this much more. After a while he began to take himself like this.
We then started pants and it took a long time for him to understand that it wasn't like a nappy but we just persevered while at home (the washing was crazy!!) After a while he started trying to take himself like that too!
When going out he can't tell us when he needs to go so he had to then get used to us taking him and asking him to try on the toilet. This was a tricky bit but I found if I sat him and told him that he must at least try before he got down then most of the time he would do SOMETHING.
He isn't perfect but if we are vigilant then most of the time he can stay dry and take himself unless he is feeling particularly defiant (sometimes he wees in protest 😂)
Basically my advice is go with the flow but don't jump from nappies to pants then back to nappies. You will find a way that he likes to do it, it may get just take a while ☺️

Frozentinkerbelle1 Wed 03-Aug-16 17:12:00

Hi

Sorry for not replying sooner. Been busy few days.

There are some good suggestions.

He doesn't need to be potty trained at preschool. I wanted to do it in hols cos I work term time and it's longest period that I'm off work. I suppose I need to wait for him.

I have been to buy toilet seat today to so will try that and potty in bathroom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now