Please please share success stories of potty training older toddlers

(8 Posts)
Bouncearound Mon 04-Jul-16 20:08:52

Dd is three and has never once done a wee or poo on the potty or toilet. We've been trying on and off since she was 2.5 with the approach that if it hasn't worked in a few days we go back in nappies for a few weeks then try again.
I've tried bribery,rewards, sticker charts,buying new pants of her choice, potty stories, new potty/ toilet seats, taking her to the toilet every twenty minutes, awaiting to see if she will ask to go but nothing has worked whatsoever I've even demonstrate! (these have all been tried over the space of seven months so we haven't bombarded/ overwhelmed her!). We never tell her off and have lots of 'nice' chats about it and she just agrees- her speech isn't great but she definitely understands. It just doesn't seem to bother her... She will sit on the potty quite happily then stand up and wee a few minutes later.

She understands what to do and will regularly say 'I'm doing/ just done a wee) and will bring me a clean nappy when she has done a poo. Nursery say she will do a wee on the toilet for them but I'm not convinced!

Any advice on this would be much appreciated as I am at my wits end. She is dc3 and number 1 and 2 did it like clockwork well before three so I don't quite know how to deal with this confused

Ffion3107 Mon 04-Jul-16 20:22:11

If you're at home, don't put a nappy on her. Tell her in the morning "today, you're going to wee/poo on the potty" and show her where the potty is and don't go back! There will be accidents but she will learn.
We started this when DD was around 22months, only when we were staying at home. So after work and on the weekends. We didn't use stickers, make a big fuss or put her on it every so often. Praised her for going on the potty (even when she just fancied sitting on it) and said "oops, this is where we wee now" if she had an accident.
She's 27 months now and is on her 3rd week without a nappy!

Andcake Mon 04-Jul-16 20:29:21

Tbh I didn't really try with ds until he was neatly 3 and then we just had nappy free afternoons and accidents happened. However if he got it right sticker or chocolate button. Easier in the summer when you can let them play in the garden and washing dries quicker. I felt stuck to the house a bit which I hated but we got there. Also a kiddie book on the subject helped. Ds did become brilliant at holding on all afternoon until bedtime but he did finally get it and then it literally took a weekend when he was 3.2

Bouncearound Mon 04-Jul-16 20:31:14

That's pretty much what I've been doing every day for the past week, word for word. She sits happily on the potty or toilet but just doesn't do anything. Shes been wearing just pants since our latest attempt started last Monday but no progress! She's extremely stubborn so that may have an impact wink

Andcake Mon 04-Jul-16 20:34:40

Where does she wee or does she just hold on to it? Ds was stubborn too..

Bouncearound Mon 04-Jul-16 20:40:40

She just does it in her pants. She fell asleep yesterday wearing pants and stayed dry then when she woke up and I picked her up she weed all down me so she can definitely hold it!

Naty1 Mon 04-Jul-16 20:42:20

Mine was stubborn too but we cracked it at 3.4 while stuck in with hand foot and mouth. I had also started and stopped several times. It was especially challenging as dc2 was 3m old so i had to get dd to go on the potty from a distance while bf.
Maybe just put her on really frequently so you do catch it.
Dd took ages before telling us she needed to go, i just had to time say an hour.
Maybe make sure she is drinking lots so needs to go.

Bouncearound Mon 04-Jul-16 21:55:16

Thanks. I will persevere, I'm just not sure if there is something I should/ shouldn't be doing and I don't want to scare her off by pushing her too much...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now