19 month old- next steps

(5 Posts)
porsmork Mon 27-Jun-16 20:11:19

So, below is the current situation. Can anyone advise on the next steps to full potty training?

Ds is 19 months old. He was trained for poo on the toilet very easily at 10 months. He uses a sign to tell me when he needs to go, and we've only had two accidents when he was with other people who didn't know the signs.

If I put him on the toilet, he will generally do a wee, or 'try' to wee, claps himself and is pleased he's doing it. He sees me and his dad, and does the same sign for toilet, so knows what we are doing.

However, he doesn't yet do the sign when he does a wee in his nappy, (cloth) though he does stay dry for an hour or so at a time.

Is it advisable that I move things forward a bit, and try to get him trained for wee? If so, how do I go about it? I have some training pants, so could pop him in those, so he's more aware of accidents, but I'm wary of pushing him too soon. The poo just happened really naturally, but wee seems more complicated, especially when out and about. Any advice greatfully received.

Kittyrobin Mon 27-Jun-16 20:17:02

It's not a competition, do it when he's ready.

Icecappedpinetrees Mon 27-Jun-16 20:26:16

Wee takes a lot longer. It's much harder to control. I'd continue talking about it but not push it. Do paediatric doctors not suggest that it's potentially harmful to encourage infants under 24 months to hold their wee? There was a link somewhere but I'm balancing a baby so typing is hard.

I'd back right off. As pp said, it's not a race and when he's ready it'll be a natural step too - you won't need to "do" anything. My DS was 2 and a few months and he just went to his drawer, pulled out pants and said no pull up. Two accidents on first day and a couple reminders and since then dry every single day including trips out and long journeys. I'm glad I didn't do anything, it was the easiest step we've taken since he was born!!

tayradet Mon 04-Jul-16 12:47:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

tayradet Mon 04-Jul-16 12:48:03

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now