Siblings and potty training

(7 Posts)
ISaySteadyOn Fri 10-Jun-16 10:48:45

DS is 2 and just beginning potty training. DD1 is 5 and uses the toilet and DD2 is 3 and fully toilet trained.
DD2 now wants chocolate buttons for toilet use because DS is going to get them for using the potty which is what we did with her. Am not sure how to handle this situation. Anyone with experience have any advice? Thank you.

PirateJones Fri 10-Jun-16 16:48:22

I'd just give her a button too, in fact I'd give one too all of the kids to avoid the fight.

AppleMagic Fri 10-Jun-16 16:53:06

I'll be giving dd(4) a chocolate button too when ds(2) goes in the toilet. That way she help remind/encourage him and won't whinge about the amount of time we'll have to dedicate to it.

ISaySteadyOn Fri 10-Jun-16 18:13:21

Good ideas. Thank you so much!

Iguessyourestuckwithme Fri 10-Jun-16 18:21:51

Do you have to give anyone any buttons/treats. It's a bodily function that needs to be learnt not snack time. Just offer praise and move on.

* nanny/nursery nurse who has trained over 100 children without using treats

ISaySteadyOn Fri 10-Jun-16 19:09:24

You know, I tried that approach with DD1 and it didn't work at all. Tried the buttons with DD2 and she was done in a week. I am glad that the children you were with didn't need them, but every child is different. We'll see what works with DS. He might be different too.

user1465748861 Sun 12-Jun-16 17:37:54

Here i have shared some tips on potty training and this are - 1.let your child take the lead – never pressure your child if he/she doesn’t want to sit on the toilet 2. many children are ready by the age of two or two and a half. Some kids aren’t ready until the age of three but remember – you child will get there! 3.let your child go with you to the bathroom. I really think this put Kayla at ease because she saw that I was doing the same thing that she was 4.ensure that you work with your care provider during potty training so that a consistent message is communicated to your child 5.make potty training fun and exciting! let your child pick out the toilet seat or potty, underwear and even pull-up design. Make if fun so that it won’t seem as intimidating 6.never force your child to sit on the toilet until he goes. That will only increase the pressure and may cause your child to regress or even resent/fear the toilet. ” Here you will get more unique solution and i have used tis app also www.pottytrainingapp.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now