What are the worst nappies you can buy?

(23 Posts)
CradleCrapNap Thu 26-May-16 16:26:07

I'm 9 months pregnant and crying at he kitchen table about bloody potty training. Hopefully some of that is just tiredness and hormones and I'm not just going mad.
Started a few months ago as felt DD was ready, know it's not the ideal time with a baby on the way but she is 3 in 2 weeks and felt if we left it til way after baby she would have been quite old and way past being ready.
Did well at first, mostly dry with a few tiny dribbles, poos started to go in the potty (only at home mind). Stamp chart was helping and got a chocolate button for wees and a small treat (toy) for a poo as that was a much bigger issue for her. But slowly she has lost interest in the rewards and started wetting 3 or 4 times a day. Two days running she has pooed in her knickers and it's far worse to clean up than a nappy and as I'm heavily pregnant I am fed up and seriously considering going back to nappies again. If I do, what are the most rubbish nappies you know of? I normally use pampers baby dry but they are so dry and comfortable. I want her to dislike nappies in the hope that when we try again we may have more success.

SaveSomeSpendSome Thu 26-May-16 16:30:38

Im guessing the smart price/value range would be the worst

CradleCrapNap Thu 26-May-16 16:32:21

From where though? Aldi mamia are cheap but get rave reviews. And I know from my experience with breast pads that some of her own brands were much better than others (sainsburys: good, tesco: baaaaad).

CradleCrapNap Thu 26-May-16 16:33:30

And I'm sure it is different for each child, but there must be a general trend somewhere!

Belvedere Thu 26-May-16 16:35:18

I could have written this post. We have good and bad days but overall potty training is a nightmare and I'm having a baby next week!

Personally I'm not going to give up quite yet, but I'd use pull ups rather than nappies so that she doesn't lose it completely. My son just doesn't care about being wet now, he did at first but will happily run around with wee or poo in his pans now. Swine.

WellErrr Thu 26-May-16 16:36:37

Heavily pregnant and potty training a reluctant two year old?

Get her back in nappies!! When they're truly ready it's a piece of cake. Plus, it'll be easier a bit after the baby is born as she will want to be different from the baby.

If she's wetting and soiling she's not ready. Don't give yourself extra work flowers

ohidoliketobe Thu 26-May-16 16:37:20

I think it does vary. I swear by aldi but my friend hated them.
If just doing a quick straw poll, I found Asda Little Angels to be crap.
On aside, you sound pretty frazzled hope you're ok and this is just a little wobble. Is your health visitor any good? I know they get a bad rep but mine is a saint and she really helped me with weaning.
I think your logic is quite sensible thay you give yourselves both and little break andnd try again soon. Don't brat yourself up

WellErrr Thu 26-May-16 16:37:52

And you Belvedere!

I'm 28 weeks with baby 3. My youngest is probably nearly ready but there's no WAY I'm potty training pre baby. You're all mad! grin

WellErrr Thu 26-May-16 16:38:47

But if you insist on continuing, knickers inside nappy is better than crap nappies. They feel wet but minimal mess.

LetTheRiverAnswer Thu 26-May-16 16:41:28

I once bought Sainsbury value range nappies out of curiosity - they were less than £2- and they were awful, really plasticky, like using a bin bag. No idea how they cope with wetness because I couldn't bear to put them on my pfb (wondering if they're still in the cupboard now, actually....)

trilbydoll Thu 26-May-16 16:44:43

You don't need the extra washing with a new baby so I would put her back in pull ups and revisit in a few months.

Asda nappies are okay but not as good as Sburys at keeping them dry I don't think. Having said that the Sburys ones get massive, esp if you have a new baby and don't change your toddler all day, she'll end up with it rubbing her legs and swinging between her knees grin been there, done that, and it's why dd1 is potty trained!

CradleCrapNap Thu 26-May-16 16:45:21

Good idea on knickers inside a nappy. I am ok thanks, but I won't be if I have to clean up pooey and wet knickers and a new baby!! She was doing great to start with but seems totally unfazed by wet knickers now for some reason. She absolutely soaked herself through in the garden of a friends house and we waited an age for her to tell us. DH says he thinks she is getting better but I am certain it's the other way around. I've never had to borrow clothes from friends or had to change her so much. I agree it shouldn't be this difficult which is why I think we should give her more time.

WellErrr Thu 26-May-16 16:46:48

Honestly, you really should.

You shouldn't have to 'train' them. If they're ready, it takes a couple of days. And why give yourself the stress? smile

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 26-May-16 16:49:56

I did the same with ds who was 3 when baby was born. It was a nightmare, with the ticking clock of impending new baby looming.....
It did work eventually, but then he was quite a lot older than your dd. Perhaps the baby could bring her some new pants (maybe frozen/princess/dinosaur or whatever she likes) when he is born, because now the baby is here then he gets to have nappies and big girls have pants.
Personally, unless you absolutely have to, I would just go back to nappies this is why I had a 3yo who wasn't potty trained! and over the summer there will be lots of opportunities for playing outside with no nappies, but also less mess on the carpets and easier to dry the million pairs of pants/trousers/socks every day.

CremeBrulee Thu 26-May-16 16:55:15

It's true, you don't have to train children when they are ready. With DC1 I listened to MIL and tried to train, bribe, cajole and whilst it ultimately did work, I found it horribly stressful.

With DC2, I did the opposite, we talked about being dry, being a big boy, pants being better than nappies etc. And then one day, when we were on a family holiday we asked me if he could wear pants. We never looked back, never used a potty, he went straight to the toilet.

Of course we had the odd accident, mostly when we was busy and then didn't quite get there in time, but overall a much calmer and more positive experience for all!

WhatKatyDidnt Thu 26-May-16 16:56:50

Don't do this to yourself in the last days of pregnancy! When she's really ready, it will be so much easier.

Put your feet up.

CradleCrapNap Thu 26-May-16 16:59:32

Yeo, carpets everywhere here, was like this when we moved in in Sept. Also in middle of a massive extension and they are about to rip out the kitchen, including the washing machine!! If she was having one accident a week or so, fine, people say hey do still have the odd one in the beginning, when they are tired/ill/engrossed in something, but this past week has been 3 or more changes a day. Too many!!

CradleCrapNap Thu 26-May-16 16:59:52

Should have said 'yep' not Yeo!!

InTheSandPit Thu 26-May-16 17:24:35

I a moment of desperation I remember calculating a (full price) pampers nappy was more expensive than basics supermarket pants. Therefore I binned pants that were not easily reachable. Made life much better. Accidents became better when we really cut back his fruit intake. As one got less accidents, and they were easy to clean up.
But I'd not worry, and just use whatever nappies you have to hand.

Jasonandyawegunorts Thu 26-May-16 17:25:41

you don't need cheap nappies to do this, just put a pair of pants on underneath any nappy or pullup.

CatWithKittens Fri 27-May-16 11:42:46

Terry lined trainer pants?

MooseAndSquirrel Fri 27-May-16 11:59:04

I personally would wait - after baby you can make a big deal about what a big clever girl she is.
I agree that pp are totally right, when they are really ready its super easy.
I tried DD1 when I thought she was ready...she wasn't, it was stressful. So I gave up for a bit, 3 Months later she told me she needed a wee and used the toilet.
We actually never had an accident or a wet night after that!

NeedACleverNN Fri 27-May-16 13:56:24

Why are you so anxious to potty train? Honestly?

Is it because you think she should be doing it?

My dd is 3.3 and she's still in nappies. We've had a few successes in the potty but sometimes she refuses to use it. To me that means she isn't ready.

I know one day it will all click and we will do it so much easier than cleaning wee puddles 10 times a dayb

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now