Not sure if I'm doing the right thing

(6 Posts)
plea4625 Mon 21-Mar-16 15:20:42

I started training with my 2 year old daughter a week ago. We have had Potty dotted round the house for months so she was aware it was coming. She has been showing all the signs for a good few months and tells me if she needs her nappy changed so I thought we'd give it a go.

so far NO good. We haven't got anything in the potty yet. She doesn't particularly like not wearing a nappy so we compromise with pants. She understands what she has to do and has told me a few times she needs to go so we run to the potty but nothing. She will then pee 5 mins later all over the floor. (My house stinks!!!!)

I have tried to put her on the potty every 30 mins but she refuses to sit on it at regular intervals so that's not an option.

She goes to nursery twice a week and they have suggested pull ups. I have bought some but she sees this as a licence to wee and doesn't bother telling me she needs to wee when she is wearing one. I think it's confusing for her but nursery don't seem up for helping to train her. So last week we trained Monday, Wednesday, Fri/Sat and Sunday but the days she went to nursery she wore nappies.
I don't have a clean run at it with work/childcare so I just worry it's going to take ages!!

I'm wondering if I should stop and just wait a bit longer or will this make matters worse?

It's really stressing me out because all of my friends girls were potty trained within a week or two. She is so advanced in other areas but just doesn't seem to grasp this.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

dementedpixie Mon 21-Mar-16 15:27:21

Of you are not being successful at all yet then I would stop and wait a few weeks and then try again. Has she done any in the potty at all?

bikingintherain Mon 21-Mar-16 15:30:49

In my experience the worst thing you can do in potty training is make it stressful or confusing. I'm amazed at how my kids have picked up on stress even though I'm trying hard to be relaxed about it.

She's only little still, I would be tempted to try again in another 4 months or so. And then it will be more sunny and playing outside more and accidents are easier to deal with.

My DD was about 2.6 and my DS 3.3 before they 'got it', (even now DS refuses to poo in a potty or toilet but asks for a nappy when he wants to go!)

Cakescakescakes Mon 21-Mar-16 15:30:57

It sounds like she really isn't ready? I would stop and leave it for a month and try again. In the meantime put her on the potty first thing in the morning and at bedtime to keep it in her mind but take the pressure off you both. My ds1 took a full year to potty train - just because your friends kids do it one way doesn't mean it's that way for everyone.

Machine123 Mon 21-Mar-16 15:41:39

I was advised to clear out 3 days for intensive potty training, basically no work, no cleaning, no cooking, no popping out for groceries.... nothing but potty training and observing. Sounds a bit crazy but it really worked for us.

I used the terry cloth potty training pants ( think they're called bambino mio, had to buy lots of them). They are like normal pants but with a little bit of padding so that the child knows they've had an accident and will try to avoid that wet feeling and will make a connection that if they don't use the potty they will end up with that wet feeling.

Day 1 was horrendous, ds hated being put on the potty every half and hour. So I just had to let him have the accidents. By day 2 he'd made the connection and stated to run to the potty when he felt the urge. Still some accidents but only because he didn't get to the potty in time. Day three it all fell into place.

plea4625 Mon 21-Mar-16 15:47:13

Thanks guys.
She has been once, it was a tiny little dribble! I praised her and ran into the kitchen to get her stickers and by the time I returned she was stood up in a puddle two metres from the potty 🙈 I could have kicked myself for not waiting until she'd done more but this was day 5 and it felt like a break through. Other than that there hasn't been anything.

It's really frustrating me and I don't want to get her stressed out like you say. I have thought about waiting until the weather warms up a little But just leaving the potties in sight incase she wants to use it. Offering at morning/bed time is a good idea.

Thank you for your thoughts x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now