Getting desperate!

(7 Posts)
salls79 Sun 28-Feb-16 22:42:51

Has anyone had any success getting a 3 year old to poo on toilet as opposed to pull ups?? He has had constipation in the past and been withholding but this has been sorted for months. Seems like there is some kind of fear left. Have read all the usual books, spoken to HV and GP but just can't get him
To sit down!! Arghhhhh. Any advice much appreciated. Have tried the patient approach due to it being a fear but getting v frustrated now thanks so much for any advice!!!

MrsGaryKemp Sun 28-Feb-16 22:47:16

Would he use a potty? I started by cutting a hole in the nappy, getting her to sit on the potty with the nappy on. Eventually I was able to lay the nappy in the potty and she would use it. At some point I took the nappy away. It didn't happen overnight, but it did happen!

salls79 Sun 28-Feb-16 22:55:58

Thanks. No can't get to sit down at all when needs a poo! Happily wees on potty-toilet but asks for a pull up and will only stand up at poo time. Thanks for advice though!

cheapandcheerful Sun 28-Feb-16 23:02:28

Have you tried just putting him in pants with no option of pull-ups? How long was he holding it in for?

We had this with dd and she would hold it in for 5 days at a time. It was very stressful for a few weeks, lots of screaming when she eventually couldn't hold it any more . And lots of poo in pants and on the floor but she cracked it within about a month.

salls79 Sun 28-Feb-16 23:06:39

Hi. No not really tried this properly and stuck to it so think its the next option. I do think it will be v distressing for all involved but maybe need to take the plunge. Did your Dd move from pull ups in this way? Used to hold for 4 days St a time when didn't offer pull ups (at the beginning of training!) Thanks!!

Nowthereistwo Sun 28-Feb-16 23:07:06

I've downloaded an app called Poo goes home to Pooland.

It was written/created by healthcare professionals at an nhs trust. It's a story encouraging them to send poo off to Pooland to be with their family.

My dd likes it and we say bye poo when we flush.

Worth googling

cheapandcheerful Sun 28-Feb-16 23:10:55

We only used pull-ups at night...during the day we went straight from nappy to knickers.

I have also heard good things about Mr Poo Goes to Pooland.

Be reassured that this (poo) is an issue for lots of potty trainers. Most people I know who have been through it struggled with it to some extent. Most people don't talk about it though because whilst it's horrid to deal with at the time, actually it usually is resolved in no time at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now