night time training!

(5 Posts)
Mummyoftwo91 Sun 28-Feb-16 19:56:08

My 4 year old has been completely toilet trained during the day since 2 1/2 years, I was told wait till his night time nappies are dry before night training, this never seems to happen and aged 4 he still wears nappies at night! He says he doesn't want to wear them at night any more and I stop him drinking several hours before bed and he still wakes up with quite wet nappies, any advice on night training? I would love him out of them asap

Pie80 Mon 29-Feb-16 12:13:50

I'm afraid I have a 6 year old DS still in nappies at night so don't have any advice other than your not alone. You could try taking the nappies off for a week and seeing if he starts to wake up /stops wetting but if he doesn't then he probably isn't ready.

DesertOrDessert Mon 29-Feb-16 12:44:41

Night nappies ages 4 are not unusual.
You can try without nappies for a few nights, and see what happens. If he is filling his nappy first thing in the morning, you will easily be nappy free. If he is weeing in his sleep, and not waking after a few nights, nappies back on. If he wakes for some wees, it's worth perserveering.
It may be worth waiting til it's a bit warmer, so you can dry things more readily, especially if you don't have a tumble drier.

Mummyoftwo91 Thu 03-Mar-16 14:38:49

Thank you both for your advice! I guess if he's not ready I shouldn't push him! I just thought if he's at an age where he can actually put his own nappy on he shouldn't be in one but I'll give it a few months and see how it goes

CornishYarg Thu 03-Mar-16 17:14:49

Being dry at night is hormonal rather than something that can be "trained". So I agree that waiting is the best plan as the fact he's regularly weeing overnight suggests the hormone hasn't kicked in yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now