Almost 4yr old wont stop pooing his pants!

(10 Posts)
Mrsbak123 Sat 09-Jan-16 09:08:17

My almost 4yr old son won't stop pooing his pants we have been trying to get over this for at least 9 months i feel like i have tried everything from rewards to poo goes to pooland and ignoring him when changing him.

I am now thinking of going back to pull ups!

I would be great full for any hrlp and advice i just don't know how to get over this xx

MigGril Sat 09-Jan-16 09:13:23

Has he been potty trained long? Is he reliably dry?
And have you considered asking your HV for help?

I ask the last one as DS was very late to potty train I tired everything. Even lots of help on hear. But it took the one on one support from our HV to really sort the problem out they where actually really supportive.

Mrsbak123 Sat 09-Jan-16 22:16:51

we started potty training at 3 he is dry all the time that isn't a problem it is just the poo in his pants constantly. I have bought pull ups today and he is not happy at all about it but i have told him he if he can keep them clean and do everything on the toilet he can have his oants back. Hopefully this might work.

I know he can do it because he used to it wasn't until my husband went away (raf) he started. I thought it was maybe an attention thing but he just hasn't stopped.

MigGril Sat 09-Jan-16 22:40:52

I was told to be careful about using pull ups once they are out of nappies (initially this didn't apply to DS as he was still in pull ups as bad never been dry or clean) as you can confuse them.
A better alternative mite be washable training pant. More like real pants but contain better then normal pants. I used these a lot to start with HV was quit impressed with them.

Rewarding defiantly worked better then anything else, but it was really slow progress and as we where starting from scratch it had to be for every slight improvement. Ie that he would sit on the potty for a minute.

In your case sounds more like regression which can happen when they become unsettled.

Mrsbak123 Sun 10-Jan-16 07:54:01

we have been using liners so not every pair of pants goes in the bin.

We have a reward chart n he gets rewards everytime he does a poo on the toilet but as soon as he got the reward he would then just go in his pants.

We speak to him all the time about it but he doesn't listen and he really isn't bothered about doing it in his pants. He is very stubborn.

CountingToThree Sun 10-Jan-16 08:12:23

Go to the doctors and check there's not a medical reason for it. My daughter was the same and it turned out she was constipated - couple of weeks of lactulose and she was much better

MigGril Sun 10-Jan-16 08:17:20

You need to take baby steps, this is how they explained it to us.

Reward him for telling you he's done something in his pants. I know it's frustrating I've been there it can be a long process. But baby steps rewarding every little step did get us there in the end.

No need to bin pants, I've only ever done that if they have upset tummy. Poo in toilet, show him where it goes. Pants in wash.

Never get cross with him, it's frustrating and time consuming it took weeks and weeks. I'm so glad I have no more children to potty train.

Mrsbak123 Sun 10-Jan-16 08:24:08

thanks for the advice i will try anything

ceeveebee Sun 10-Jan-16 08:24:59

My DS was exactly like this for about 6 months. We did all the reward stuff and it didn't work.
Then we started putting him on the toilet 20 mins after every meal and he just one day seemed to click and now he poos on the toilet every night after his tea. In fact over Christmas he got himself out of bed and went for a poo in the night without even waking us up (didn't wipe or flush but you can't have everything!).

Mrsbak123 Sun 10-Jan-16 08:39:21

i just can't wait for the day he has no accidents it has been going on far too long

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now