Is my 4yo ready to be dry at night?

(9 Posts)
Limited Wed 30-Dec-15 23:09:36

DD was 2.11 when she announced she didn't want to wear nappies anymore. 2 days of accidents and that was it so she was pretty ready (we'd tried before but she just didn't get it).

However, she's still in nappies at night. They are still pretty heavy in the mornings but she's started to wake up at 11pm-ish every night and I think it's because she might've had a wee.

So what next? Should we get her up for a wee at 10pm ish and see how she does? Is the idea of this that eventually she'll drop that wee?

Or do we wait for dryer nappies in the mornings?

shouldwestayorshouldwego Wed 30-Dec-15 23:23:23

I think that it really varies from child to child. Dd1 was a similar age to your dd when we discovered she would be dry all night and then wee in her nappy as soon as she woke up. We then started to go in 10 min before she normally woke up and put her straight onto the potty. Dd2 was dry day and night within 48hrs at 2.4yrs. Ds took a little longer... I would advise getting two sets of bedding etc ready. Have a waterproof sheet/normal sheet/waterproof sheet/normal sheet from bottom to top so if they are wet on one you can just take the top set off, likewise have spare covers to hand ready to put straight on.

ceeveebee Wed 30-Dec-15 23:43:08

Sorry to state the obvious but does she have a final wee just before going to bed? And what time is her last drink of water/milk?
My 4 yo twins have their last big drink at 6ish, then a wee just before bed, and were dry at night at 3 for DD and 3.5 for DS. Mind you, I do have a bladder of steel so might just be genetic!

ceeveebee Wed 30-Dec-15 23:44:03

Oh, and I waited until they had 7 dry nappies in a row before going without.

Pinkvici22 Fri 01-Jan-16 22:07:07

Thank you for posting this. DD is 3.3 and has been dry in the day since the week after her 2nd birthday, but she is still in pull ups at night.

We have 2, sometimes 3 dry nights a week but then some mornings she's clearly done a few wees! MIL insists I should wake her when we go to bed (10/11pm) but I hate the thought of disturbing her sleep! I think I'll wait a little longer to push her but really grateful for the tips being shared.

Littlefish Fri 01-Jan-16 22:26:51

Waking a child does not teach them to be dry at night.

In most children, dryness at night is due to the presence of a particular hormone.

Before she goes to sleep, remind her that if she wakes up in the night needing a wee, she should go to the loo (and let you know?).

Do you think she is waking after she's weed, or before?

BathshebaDarkstone Fri 01-Jan-16 22:35:33

DS is 4, he has a small amount of water with supper then nothing else, he refused a bedtime drink a few months ago. He has another small amount of water by his bed which he hardly ever drinks. He has last wee before his story then stays dry until 5.40am when he goes to the loo. This was only achieved after lots of talks about not weeing in Dry Nites when he was awake, he used to wee in them first thing.

JCleRoux Fri 01-Jan-16 22:36:33

Hi Limited. My 4.5 yo DS has been dry for a few months now. I prepared him for a night with no nappies a few weeks before going ahead with it. Then I limited all drinks two hours before bed time with a wee before bath time and another one just before bed. For a few weeks I woke him up at night before I went to bed around 11pm to wee but found he was grumpy in the morning because of the broken sleep. Stopped that and just down-played any bed wetting accidents just to not discourage him.

Wish I could give you a fail-proof method but just hang in there as it may take a bit of time for your DC to get completely dry...

Good luck!

Womaloosh Fri 01-Jan-16 22:49:10

I would wait for drier nappies in the mornings. I think it will be easier for both of you. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now