Go cold turkey and hide the nappies?

(5 Posts)
dodi1978 Mon 23-Nov-15 20:49:07

Hi,

DS, 28 months, was doing really well two months ago - lots of wees on the potty, even announced occasionally that he had to go. Now occasionally sits on the potty, but nothing ever goes in. Not really motivated by stickers either. Then asks for "nappy change". One attempt at wearing big boy pants (he asked for them one morning) ended in lots of accidents... and we ended back in nappies quite quickly (it was not an ideal day as my husband was ill, otherwise I might have stuck it out).
However, quite often when I change his nappy it is completely dry, even after he has drunk a lot. So I think he can hold it when he wants to and is just a little bit lazy smile.
I am honestly thinking that, after Christmas, when I've got a week off (I work full time and DS is at nursery), I hide the nappies and we go cold turkey... any thoughts on whether this is a good strategy?

CakeThat Mon 23-Nov-15 21:11:19

I did it with my DS but when he was much older, 3 and a half (due to speech delay he couldn't understand earlier). We did it in the summer so we spent quite a lot of time outdoors which helped keep the carpets and furniture clean.
I put him in pants (not pull ups) all day long just putting a nappy on at bedtime. It was hellish and I hated not being able to go out in the car incase of accidents but by day 5 he'd nailed it and never looked back! It was definitely worth a few days of hassle.

Imfinehowareyou Mon 23-Nov-15 21:35:29

We did this with our DD1 at the same age. We were not really going for it all guns blazing with the potty training but she could and did sometimes use the potty/know when she needed a wee. She just wasn't consistent. A pack of nappies ended and we decided to be brave! She had a few accidents but it worked. When I tried to follow 'Potty Training in a Week' earlier that year it was depressing for us all. Yet our cavalier approach worked! I just think she was ready then and not before.

Imfinehowareyou Mon 23-Nov-15 21:37:17

Oh, just realised she was 2yrs and 9 months. So that's 33 months old. Still, I think it's worth a try. Good luck!

dodi1978 Mon 23-Nov-15 22:34:45

Thanks guys! Maybe I am a bit over-ambitious, but he is generally a quick learner... albeit stubborn!
We'll see what the time leading up to Christmas and then Christmas will bring. I am sort of hoping that German grandpa arriving for Christmas and scaring him into telling him to go on the potty will do the trick grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now