DS 3.3 still in nappies...is it me?

(13 Posts)
SwivelHips Sun 16-Aug-15 07:55:05

He's also just moved up to pre school. We have all our big boy pants ready, reading pirate Pete together but he will not entertain sitting on potty without a nappy or wearing the pants. Do I just leave it? We have a family wedding end Aug and I wonder if it's me subconsciously putting it off until after the wedding blushblush

afreshstartplease Sun 16-Aug-15 07:56:24

I'd leave it, he's still only little

Both my boys were about 3 and a half til they started getting it

Alanna1 Sun 16-Aug-15 07:57:34

Can you chat to someone who knows your family? This seems very late to me, my children's nursery encourage potty training very strongly by 2.3. Both of mine were long out of nappies by then, but every child is different.

Taleggio Sun 16-Aug-15 07:59:03

Our DS was 3.5 when we started. Everyone said wait til he's ready but I don't think that day would ever have come.

I just got fed up of it one day and took his nappy off.

We had stars for putting pants on, sweets and stars for wees in the toilet, kinder eggs for poos. Cost us a fortune in sweets, magazines, bowling trips etc.

Buttercup27 Sun 16-Aug-15 08:00:18

Nope my ds has been dry now for 3 weeks . He is 3.6 . He just wasn't ready before. It took 3 days then he was dry day and night.
Wait until he's completely ready otherwise you may have a battle.

afreshstartplease Sun 16-Aug-15 08:02:45

2.3 is far too young for a lot of children to potty train! How does your nursery justify meeting each child's needs by wanting them to do what they are not developed to do!
Until they can communicate the need there is little point going there, many children at 2.3 have few words

StrawberryMojito Sun 16-Aug-15 08:03:02

I think it's late as well. Have you tried before? I would keep going with it and have him in a pull up at the wedding if you need to.

If he doesn't like the potty maybe he would prefer stand up wees instead?

I wouldn't delay it past the end of summer as it is easier to do it during warmer weather as they can wear less/create less washing and it is easier to get your washing dry again.

Dollybird99 Sun 16-Aug-15 08:10:52

OP. Do not worry. Contrary to what a couple of people have said, 3.3 is not, I repeat not late. My son was at least the same age before he got it. I remember having loads of conversations with his nursery teachers, asking if it was me doing something wrong - and they said that every child is different - some do it earlier than others. They had a 4 year old girl once who just refused to use a potty then overnight just got it. Don't worry and don't stress. Take it easy and it will come.

DeandraReynolds Sun 16-Aug-15 08:36:25

It's becme much more common to delay potty training recently so your won't be alone OP. Wait til after the wedding and then ditch the nappies.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sun 16-Aug-15 08:39:19

Just leave it. Ds1 wasn't out of nappies (well, pull-ups) til he was 3.10. He'd been doing poo in the loo for almost a year, but couldn't at all work out when he was going to wee, until suddenly he could. And then he was dry almost immediately, only had a couple of accidents when he was so engrossed in playing that he forgot to go.

DS2 is 2. 10 and is still in nappies and, despite early positive reaction to pooing on the loo, has refused point blank to entertain the idea for the last few months. Possibly because it's winter here and it's too cold for him! I'm hoping he'll be happy to try again when it warms up but I'm not going to push him.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sun 16-Aug-15 08:40:59

I should point out as well that I'm in Australia, where it's generally expected that children will be out of nappies by the age of 2. However, one of my friends who achieved this with her DS, had to put up with him wetting himself and his clothes multiple times a day - so I'd hardly call him "toilet trained", he just didn't wear nappies.

KingOfTheStupids Sun 16-Aug-15 08:46:40

According to my HV the average age is now 3 for potty training so I don't think your DC would be considered unusual OP.

My DS is 3 in a few weeks. We did have a morning without nappies the other day but after 5 wees on the floor and a very distressed toddler we decided to leave it for another month.

SwivelHips Sun 16-Aug-15 08:57:42

Wow didn't realise this thread was so busy thanks everyone.

Nursery not worried so no pressure there. I did try about 6 wks ago but felt under prepared then he had the meltdown about wearing the pants and I didn't have anything ready re rewards.
I've now got sticker charts ready plus about 16 pairs of pants.
If I think back to all the milestones he was late rolling, never crawled, late walking so bugger it likely bit late potty training.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now