How young is too young?

(14 Posts)
Julieb85 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:44:40

My DS is a page boy at his uncles wedding in MArch next year, he'll be 22 months. Being in Scotland, he'll be wearing a kilt, so if possibloe I was hoping to try and get him into pull up for at least the ceremony and photographs - dont want a horrible nappy on show!

My question is - do you think he's too young to expect this?

TravellingToad Wed 10-Jun-15 10:54:06

pull ups will be fine. they are just the same as nappies. but, no , he won't be potty trained by then. you can still use them tho

Artandco Wed 10-Jun-15 11:00:09

There's no reason why not if he's ready. Ds1 was dry by 15 months, ds2 by 18 months.

You have nothing to loose trying surely? Start now with sitting him on toilet at each nappy change and before/ after baths, and gradually encourage asking as they grow. I did the above from 4/5 months here basically as soon as they could sit and hold head well, and by around a year both would always poo on the toilet only by pouting or crawling in that direction, and then gradually began acknowledging wees as well over time

MirandaWest Wed 10-Jun-15 11:01:28

I think it's too young to rely on it happening. DD was toilet trained by that age but was her decision and I'd rather she hadn't tbh as she was a bit hit and miss for a while.

You could get a nice nappy cover or use pull ups anyway I'd say.

Piratejones Wed 10-Jun-15 11:18:13

pullups can be used like nappies. But you'll have the same issue of a nappy on show because that's what they are.

dementedpixie Wed 10-Jun-15 11:24:11

You get pull up nappies and pull up potty training pants. I would use pull up nappies as they are the same as nappies but can be pulled up and down

jurgenteller Wed 10-Jun-15 11:26:23

OP, i'm sorry but i think it is absolutely wrong to plan your de's potty training after an event. Instead, you should take the cue from your ds; children are ready for potty training at different ages but few are ready under two years and a bit. I think you might up pressure on your ds as the 'deadline' gets closer and this could create so many problems further down the line. The child needs to feel in control of his weeing and pooing and i suspect he will pick up on your expectations on him which are purely based on your needs (to have wedding photos with no nappies)

Why don't you put a plain popper vest on your ds, this way nobody will be able to see a nappy. You can get them in plain colours or white and put his shirt and kilt on top. I think he will be much more likely to have a wee / poo accident if not quite ready and that is much more shitty for the photos.

tobysmum77 Sat 13-Jun-15 11:11:42

A nappy is better than a puddle smile . Can you put some pants on over it?

MyNameIsButterfly Sat 20-Jun-15 19:41:47

my little niece was toilet trained by the time she was 1. only wore nappies at night so anything is possible smile smile
good luck!

poocatcherchampion Sat 20-Jun-15 19:44:40

My dd1 was 21 months and dd2 18months.
But you can't guarantee it.

My suggestion is to go cloth nappies for the day. You'd need 3 or 4 and could choose matching ones to the kilt. Stick with normal wipes and just put them in a carrier bag when used.

Ineedacleaningfairy Sat 20-Jun-15 21:17:51

Just tell him not to pull his kilt up...

happyhighlander Sun 21-Jun-15 19:35:42

My DS was a page boy at 22 months in a kilt - potty training him for the event never crossed my mind! His nappy was never on show (he managed to sleep through most of the photos anyway!). Accidents are more likely to happen at a big, unsettling event like a wedding, much more relaxing for you to not have to worry about it, or pay for to get the kilt dry cleaned wink

ispyfispi Mon 22-Jun-15 21:20:13

Little Lamb has some tartan like nappy covers. So do Oscha but they're ££ smile

mommy112274 Thu 25-Jun-15 05:11:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now