Night time training

(9 Posts)
GingerPuddin Sun 07-Jun-15 19:38:14

DS has just turned 4. He's been potty trained and pretty much accident free for about a year. He's still in a pull-up at night and most mornings it has been weed in. He's not a great sleeper but I feel like we should be encouraging night time dryness but I don't know what to do or how to start. How do I know when he's ready?

Flisspaps Sun 07-Jun-15 19:43:50

AFAIK you can't do anything to train night time dryness, it's hormonally controlled.

DD is 5, has been dry in the day for 3 years and still wees heavily every single night. She doesn't have a drink with her, she goes to the loo before bed. It'll happen when she's ready, I hope.

MadgeMak Sun 07-Jun-15 19:46:19

Yes, what flisspaps said. It's not unusual at his age.

TarkaTheOtter Sun 07-Jun-15 19:50:22

Do you think he's weeing in the night or first thing? If you think he's dry at night but just going in the nappy rather than getting up when he wakes in the morning you could try offering some incentive or don't use the nappy for a few nights and see what happens.

MoreSnowPlease Sun 07-Jun-15 19:52:47

Don't think you can train, but my 3 year old will be dry at night as long as he doesn't drink before bed, he usually drinks before bed though so is generally wet in the morning, but you could try doing giving water at bedtime if you do that?

Shakey1500 Sun 07-Jun-15 19:56:47

As above, it's not something you can "train" as such, because it's whenever the hormone kicks in. The one that sends the signal to the brain that wakes you up to pee. That's why lifting them late at night to pee isn't encouraged.

DS was also fully daytime trained at 4 but took till when he was 6 and a half for night time. We tried but it simply wasn't worth the hassle of changing sheets at 3am and constantly washing bedding. Night time pants until they're ready.

IShallCallYouSquishy Sun 07-Jun-15 20:03:30

DD would wake up with a full pull up in the morning, but she was dry at nap time. I just told her one day that she was going to wear her big girl pants at night time now and she needed to come tell us if she needed a wee. In first 4 weeks we used one pack of dry night pads. Since then no accidents and goes through all night.

I think a lot of younger ones just wee because they know they can as nappy is there to catch it.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Sun 07-Jun-15 20:30:40

Well, you won't know if he is dry a night until you try with no nappy...

GingerPuddin Mon 08-Jun-15 07:10:50

Thanks. I'm not going to worry about it until he's dry at night more often.
We've been trying to get him to sleep in his own bed all night instead of coming into ours so I'll focus on that first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now