Potty training and pre-school

(4 Posts)
3CheekyLittleMonkeys Thu 28-May-15 23:13:50

Is it helpful or a hindrance your child attending pre-school when you are trying to potty train them?

DS2 qualifies for the free 2 year funding for early education, and I was wondering when it comes to potty training, it might be a harder process if he's at pre-school. DS1 was home all the time, so he had that consistency that I worry DS2 might not get and it will be a much longer, drawn out process.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

GiddyOnZackHunt Thu 28-May-15 23:16:39

Pick a time such as the summer holidays to get started (other holidays too) and are school will be well able to cope with reminders and rewards.

3CheekyLittleMonkeys Thu 28-May-15 23:24:07

Ah good idea. Hopefully he'll catch on quickly and he makes loads of progress during the hols. If not then not to worry, he'll get there!

Shootingstar2289 Sun 14-Jun-15 13:54:49

Is your child starting pre-school in September? Maybe use this time now and the school holidays to get him trained.

I found pre school to be a help and a hindrance for my son.

In some ways, it was great as other children were using the toilet or potty so he could copy. But in other ways it threw him back as the pre school would go out for walks nearby and if my son needed to go, he would not hold it in.

Pre schools are great at encouraging children and expect little accidents and don't mind at all.

My son was trained at home when be started pre-school but not when he was there so had to put a pull up on him as he used to wee so much! confused

Pre school staff are very supportive and you can tell them everything about your sons existing toilet habits and what help he needs.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now