Difficulty with potty training

(3 Posts)
lisarath Tue 22-Apr-14 16:56:42

Hello. My son is 2 and a half and we have been trying to potty train him for a few months. He doesn't seem to like it or want to. Our nursery says he is doing well but at home has numerous accidents (but has no accidents there which makes think they aren't really trying). When asked if he wants to go on the potty he just says no, but if we put pants on him and say when you have to wee where are you going to go, he says the potty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MisForMumNotMaid Tue 22-Apr-14 17:06:39

Nurserys are run on routine. Children don't have drinks/ food as and when. They can go to the toilet at any time but are all sent at regular times. If he needs to go 20-40 mins after a drink then they deal with so many children they probably send them all at that time. To make things even tougher if the others are doing it, generally they all take their turn not challenge like at home.

Chances are that your DS is getting there, just home stuff is more exciting and its easier to challenge mum/ dad and refuse to go/ sit on the potty. I'm a year on from you DD is nearer 3.5 but has had a significant physical/ gross motor skills delay of about 18 months. I'm using pull ups and a timer. I set the timer for 30 mins after a drink. Not fully dry yet but she knows the timer means pop to the toilet and she generally goes. She has a sticker chart too. She gets a sticker for her top and one for her chart for each time she sits on the toilet and does a wee. She gets a smily face on the chart if she goes without fussing. 10 smilies and she gets a little reward (think balloon, mini bubbles etc).

He's still young. If your hearts not in it what about stopping for a month or two and when the weather warms up going for it again?

lisarath Wed 23-Apr-14 14:41:17

Thank you. We might just try stopping for a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now