2 years 4 month DS won't entertain the toilet

(7 Posts)
junkfoodaddict Sun 20-Apr-14 10:21:54

He's happy to wear big boy pants and will happily tell us that he does wees and poos on the toilet, he is reluctant to do so and when he does wet himself, he seems oblivious to the fact he is wet.

So I'm guessing he isn't ready yet?

We've had a potty since he was 15 months old and he has used it now and again at his wish and we keep taking him to the toilet with us, talking to him about it etc, etc.

Last week we realised he was holding onto his poo. His bottom has been sore for weeks and only last week did his bottom show signs of healing really well. We think it was the soreness that is making him reluctant to poop. He kept saying; "Me not trump. Me a big boy" and "Me not poo. Me a big boy". We are perplexed as to where this 'attitude' has come from because we have never, ever told him off for pooing in his nappy, or made out that he was a baby for doing so. It was what he said that made us think maybe he was ready for potty training.

I can cope with the wet pants and trousers - he doesn't seem to make a mess except on himself but his reluctance to use the toilet or potty is worsening.

So we are back in easy-ups!

Not sure what to do. We're going on holiday in 12 weeks and was hoping he'd be dry by then but I'm not sure he's anywhere near ready!

Some advice would be appreciated.

Blueuggboots Sun 20-Apr-14 11:21:13

2 years and 4 months is really early to be dry for a boy. My son was 3 in feb and I didn't start potty training until 4 days before his birthday. We had 3 accidents in a week and then he was done. I'd tried before but he just wasn't getting it.
He will wee and poo on the potty and/or toilet now without problem. I also bought him a book called "Pirate Pete's Potty" which he loved and still loves.

MaryShelley Sun 20-Apr-14 11:22:46

Love the title. Visions of you trying to get him to read and sing to the toilet to entertain it!

Sorry, absolutely no advice but remember potty training was hideous.

diddlediddledumpling Sun 20-Apr-14 11:36:08

Ds3 is the same age and i hadn't even thought about training him yet. I'll wait until the summer at least.

Tried at this age with ds1, was a nightmare. Waited a bit longer with ds2, easy as pie.

junkfoodaddict Sun 20-Apr-14 12:01:45

Thanks. Maryshelley, glad I made you laugh!

A friend reminded me that travelling on a 4-hour flight with a newly pottry-trained toddler will be no fun so I am leaving it entirely!

Obvious that he is not ready. A lot of his friends are girls and one in particular has been dry since before she was 2 so had visions of him being late.

He starts nursery in January so am aiming for a pottry-trained 3 year old when he begins.

CosmicDespot Sun 20-Apr-14 12:22:22

Both of my DCs refused to even try until they had just turned three. They had both been dry (although in nappies) at night for months by then, and potty training was quick - very few accidents and minimal trauma.

I was quite defensive about my DD being in nappies at three, but by the time DS was in the same boat, I was much more confident. Both were clean and dry by three years one month.

pottytrainingtips Thu 01-May-14 16:21:40

Discover An Unknown Method For Quickly & Easily Potty Traning Even The Most Stubborn Child In 3 Short Days : watchfullvideohd.com/FreePottyTrainingVideo/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now