Poo refusal -success, two weeks before 4th birthday!

(7 Posts)
ratqueen Tue 15-Apr-14 20:03:52

The longest potty training spell ever? My DD started doing wees on the toilet at 2.11 and has been pooing in nappies ever since. That is, an entire year! Literally tried everything - nada. Until Saturday, when she FINALLY decided pooing on the potty wasn't so bad. She EVEN did one in a public toilet on Sunday!

Anyhoo, just wanted to share my exciting news to give other parents of poo shirkers hope that it won't last forever (as it has sometimes felt).

PirateJones Wed 16-Apr-14 06:38:37

The longest potty training spell ever?

6 year old still pooing in a nappy here (although to be fair he has other issue and wasn't potty trained until he was 4), he just will not sit on the toilet.

lisalou23 Fri 18-Apr-14 19:27:40

It sounds like there could be hope for my DS he is 3.7 now and since 2.5 he has been dry all day. Feel like I have read every potty training book and utube video on pooing. The problem is he won't poo during the day, he waits till he gets a nappy on just before bed and then goes. My doctor told me to leave the nappies off which I did but he then stopped pooing altogether and made him self I'll. we have been put on Latose which every time I leave the doctors he gives us more. We try with treats, reward charts but nothing works. Feel like I'm hitting my head on a wall every night with him.! How did you get to them being 4 and not going crazy!????!!!!!

PirateJones Fri 18-Apr-14 19:38:04

I eventually reasoned that he would grow out of it, We were stuck in a withholding cycle for a long time, he would hold for a week, be so constipated that he’d be sick daily, have to have a suppository clean out, then be put on stool softeners again, and so on.
In the end the doctor agreed going in a nappy would have to be better than the endless withholding cycle that was going on without letting him use a nappy, it's not exactly a good or ideal situation though.

lisalou23 Sat 19-Apr-14 02:57:18

Thanks for your reply. Not that is good as it sounds like you have been through a lot, but in one sense it's not just my boy at this age who is still having issues! :-) thanks

ratqueen Tue 06-May-14 20:25:36

Just an update, we have totally regressed now so it didn't last! Sorry i didn't t reply before I forgot I posted this. I through phases of being relaxed about it and totally stressed. Am beginning to wonder if my DD has a physical issue as she has had issues pooing since birth. Her poos are either very thin, very hard or so runny she leaks all the time. This is on movicol which we have currently stopped because she told me her poo comes out like magic which upsets her sad. It is so hard at times tho. I am currently at a loss again but nice to know I am not alone. Pirate I am sorry you are still having issue at six. Can imagine us doing then too, frankly! Would rather that than one of her awful spells of withholding.

ratqueen Tue 06-May-14 20:39:47

Just read that you have had success now pirate - hurrah! We seem to have short spells of slight success and then total regression. Going away anywhere or having visitors, even grandparents for the day, is a nightmare as it all unravels. Currently avoiding booking a holiday! Was a bad day today but on we go smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now