Holding onto wee

(4 Posts)
ILiveOnABuildsite Wed 09-Apr-14 17:55:13

I have just put my daughter in pants full time, started a few days ago this is our third or fourth attempt at training but I gave up before because we were having lots of accidents and I thought she might not have been ready. Dd is 2.4 yo.

We have been in pants since Monday now and we have had no accidents but also no wees in the potty either or anywhere for that matter. She will hold in for hours, until nap time or bed time when she is put in a nappy. I know she is holding and uncomfortable because she will cry and whinge a little and cross her legs, curl her toes up with the effort and she is clearly uncomfortable. If I sit her on the potty she cries and cries even more, and begs for a nappy to do a wee in, I tried sitting with her and cheering her up with songs and hand clapping and it works but as soon as she feels the urge to go the cries and becomes uncomfortable again and she will not go and just hold it. I am a little concerned she will get a uti or something for holding so long. Also no bowel movement since Monday, so I think she is making herself constipated.

I don't really want to go back to nappies as I think it's just reinforcing the idea that the nappies are the place to go into. If I ask her if she needs to go she always says no and has never told me she needed a wee. I don't want to ask all the time as this will frustrate her and if I sit her on the potty too often I don't think it's helping because she is starting to not like sitting there. I just worry that she is holding it in so much and wondered if anybody else's dc did this and what did you do? Did it just pass by itself?

Any advice?

ILiveOnABuildsite Wed 09-Apr-14 18:18:26

Also I should probably add that I want to persist with nappies this time because dd only wants nappies when she feels the urge to go otherwise she demands pants, she goes and fetch them and asks to wear them.

Also, before going complete nappyless during the day, we had lots of success with the potty when she tried her casually, wees and poos. She would go on the potty and get very excited about what she had done, but I don't thinks she was controlling when she would go and it would be coincidence whether she needed to go when we would try the potty. But now I have noticed that she does know and control when she goes.

So basically that is why I don't want to give up this time not because I want to potty train no matter what, iykwim.

Sorry for the two post and the epic info.

Miller1977 Thu 10-Apr-14 15:47:34

Have you tried bribing your daughter, I think I used to say one little sweet for a wee and two for a poo. I used to buy the little gummy bears or the smallest sweets I could find for my daughter. For my son he hated pooing on the toilet so we would put him to bed with no nappy on and wait till he fell asleep to get it on and then whipped the nappy off in the morning as quick as we could, we got there eventually. Stay strong your daughter will get there when she is ready.

ILiveOnABuildsite Thu 10-Apr-14 16:29:02

Thanks for replying, I have been bribing with chocolate buttons, no joy really although she is enthusiastic about the idea of a wee for chocolate. Sadly it all seems to be taking a turn for the worst as she has had a fever all day, I think all the holding has given her a uti, I put her back in nappies today so she would be comfortable but she still gets into a hysterical mess when she needs to wee, even with the security of the happy on.

I just don't know what to do, I don't want to push her either way but it just seems she gets upset about weeping no matter what now. I am taking her to gp tomorrow to check for infection, and will keep her in nappies until I know for sure or she is better. I just hate seeing her like that. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now