Anyone else EC?

(16 Posts)
Jilderbeast Mon 25-Nov-13 10:24:23

Looking for other people doing EC or nappy-free.

Thanks

milktraylady Mon 09-Dec-13 19:38:44

Yes! We are!
I don't know anyone else doing EC, anyone I've told thinks I'm nuts!

milktraylady Mon 09-Dec-13 19:39:21

What age is your LO?
Mine is 8 months and its going great.

Rollermum Fri 13-Dec-13 16:38:29

Hello, I read about EC when pregnant and thought I'd try it. Now have actual baby it seems more of difficult task!

Can I ask when you started and how?

milktraylady Fri 13-Dec-13 16:52:10

It's easy!
From birth I made a sound for poo & sound for wee. And did these when I observed my DD doing either. Did this from birth & at about 6 months I bought a small simple potty.

She got quite regular in the day when she was pooing- 5pm on the dot.
So at the first straining, straight on potty, poo noise & hey presto!

10 days of success!

Kept going from there really.
Offered a 'pottytunity' after wakeup & now she poos each morning in the loo using a potty insert.
I think she knows the poo noise (it's just "poo poo poo")

No idea when I will start wees. Am just happy to catch the poos.

It's brilliant not changing pooey nappies! Saved money on wipes too.

How old is your baby?

Rollermum Fri 13-Dec-13 16:57:58

She is 11 weeks. V interesting that you only aim to get the poos - it was the idea if trying to catch everything that made me think it would be impossible. What does your LO wear for quick access?

Sorry to thread jack Jilderbeast

milktraylady Fri 13-Dec-13 17:06:08

Just normal clothes actually. I just move fast when I see her straining, with potty nearby (I put kitchen roll in it, much easier to remove contents into nappy bag than leave yelling baby to flush & wipe)

I don't think you will have much routine yet at 11 weeks. So just make your poo noise when you see/hear them pooing.

I too have no idea for wees!
I think maybe a few days at home in old fashioned terry nappies with no inserts covers etc, to see if she has regular wee patterns. Then offer pottytunity at those times. But I can't be bothered at the mo, don't want all our time focused on her bowels!!

Happy with our poo successes so far.

(Oh I only do up 1 popper on her vest & I can undo it v quick 1 handed)

milktraylady Fri 13-Dec-13 17:06:51

Tights are the easiest actually, trousers a bit of a hassle.

Rollermum Fri 13-Dec-13 20:42:44

Thanks - that is much more helpful than EC sites I read!

milktraylady Fri 13-Dec-13 21:03:34

I got the diaper free baby book by Christine gross loh. Nicely written, positive and practical.

milktraylady Fri 13-Dec-13 21:11:17

Oh one more thing, I only put her on the potty when she had started sitting up properly.

Rollermum Sat 14-Dec-13 15:36:13

So did you use nappies until then and just make the sounds?

Will look onto the book, thanks!

milktraylady Sat 14-Dec-13 19:07:15

Yes that's right. And still use nappies but less & hardly get any pooey ones now. I wanted to do reusables, but can't quite manage that, so compromised on the Eco brand Naty. And very pleased with these, very papery, great absorbency. Naty nappy bags are biodegradable (I composted one to check!)

Much less wipes used too. And if you are interested in Eco wipes too- Jackson Reese. They compost too, made in uk. Most wipes aren't which is crazy.

Rollermum Sat 14-Dec-13 20:16:56

Thanks again - v helpful. I have washable nappies and wipes - when they are washed and ready! Hoping cloth helps her with EC later on - realising she's wet. Good to join there might be less washing though!

Rollermum Sat 14-Dec-13 20:21:32

*know

RunningBear78 Wed 08-Jan-14 00:56:57

hi, interested to hear you started with poos ...i started with wees (although not hugely successful!) as used to take half an hour to poo, but finds it much easier now at 16 weeks. With wees I offer a potty at bath and nappy changes, and make a psss sound. He does associate it with weeing, but at the moment only likes weeing lying down ....not sure how that happened or how to fix it!
I occasionally get dry nappies, and have had days when I've caught 4 wees and only used 1 nappy!

Will try your poo approach.

Nice to know others are having a go. Most people think I am nuts!

Have been told tights cut up the bum are best for easy access when trainibg, but I love my dungarees too much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now