Anyone used reusables for more than a few months? Convince me!

(9 Posts)
baggyoldcow Sat 16-Nov-13 16:47:27

Hello, I'm just pregnant with no. 4. Have used disposables for my others, but now thinking perhaps I should try reusables. Anyone had success with these? Would you advocate their use? Please give me your experiences.

(Sorry, I know it's not strictly potty training, but probably the closest topic...)

Thanks!

ArabellaBeaumaris Sat 16-Nov-13 16:52:47

There is a nappy section you know.

I've used cloth. Don't have much to say about it - I find it practical & convenient.

RandomMess Sat 16-Nov-13 16:52:50

Yes for my youngest 3 I used washable nappies. I recommend a 2 part system for reliability so some sort of nappy and then a motherease air flow wrap over the top.

You just get into a routine, dry pail them and then wash every other day then hang up to dry.

I also strongly recommend buying a few different types 2nd hand to find out what you like most and what suits your babies shape best.

Bamboo is very absorbant so are slim fitting but take ages to dry
Pocket nappies (pop insert into a wrap) a lot of people don't get on with these but are much easier to put on a wriggling older baby as more like a disposable.

Lots of advice on the cloth nappy threads.

baggyoldcow Sat 16-Nov-13 17:23:42

Oh, sorry, didn't realise there was a thread on nappies! Will hunt it out. Thanks!

Bearsandtoys Tue 19-Nov-13 18:27:06

I use tots bots bamboozles. Really good. I've only recently had problems with a big 18 month old weeing through them overnight (12hrs) so they are absorbent. A brand new set costs about the same as 6 months worth of disposables.

baggyoldcow Wed 20-Nov-13 14:08:10

Thanks bears - what do you do, exactly? Do you put a disposable liner inside the cloth nappy and then just chuck that if the child poos/pees? Or do you have to change the whole thing? Scuse my ignorance.

hoppingmad Wed 20-Nov-13 14:17:50

I use bamboozles with a blueberry wrap. Using a disposable liner, you can flush that and change the bamboozle. The wrap can be reused a couple of times if the actually nappy hadn't soaked right through to the liner.
Check out dudeybaba's too. Very cheap pocket nappies. They aren't the quality of totbots but are super easy to use.

I adore cloth nappies, I was always a bit daunted to try them thinking it would be hard but it's not.

hoppingmad Wed 20-Nov-13 14:19:28

Search totsbots videos on YouTube - makes it easy to understand smile

baggyoldcow Thu 21-Nov-13 12:23:48

thanks! I think I'll give them a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now