How long between day and night training?

(12 Posts)
Deliaskis Thu 14-Nov-13 14:11:10

Just after a few words of advice. We trained DD at the end of August, she was dry within a few days apart from the odd accident at nursery because she was too shy about asking.

So it's been I guess 2 that she's been dry in the day.

At night she has a pull-up, and has a wee before bed and often wakes me just before 7 saying she needs a wee. She has twice woken during the late evening (before DH & I have gone to bed), and twice in the 'proper' night e.g. 3-4am ish, and asked to go.

Her pull-up seems to be dry for weeks and then suddenly there is the odd wee in it, but I think it's right when she wakes up, before we've taken her pull-up off.

She stayed at Nanna's last night and she didn't bother with a pull-up and was fine. I was going to leave it a bit longer but am prepared for resistance to the pull-up now as Nanna has leapfrogged the process.

So any advice? How long do kids usually go between day and night training?

D

lastnightopenedmyeyes Thu 14-Nov-13 14:14:48

Watching with interest. DS has been dry for 6 months and has now gone 5 consecutive nights with a dry pull-up. However I'm 30 weeks pregnant and can't face more disruption at night right now! He's already getting me up once a night with nightmares.

Ds potty trained in the summer but still has a full and sometimes wet through nappy in the morning so I'm not even thinking of night times yet. If she's dry most nights then I would have thought you could give it a go?

Bramshott Thu 14-Nov-13 14:37:13

Completely varies - my DD1 was dry daytimes at 2.5, and not at night until 4.5, but DD2 was dry day and night at the same time at 2.5ish.

LackingNicknameInspiration Thu 14-Nov-13 14:41:11

I'd agree it varies - DD1 was nearly 3 when potty trained but was dry at night 3 months later. Dd2 was dry in day at 2.5. Sodden pull ups every night until we decided to just take then away 6 months later. She went through from 7 til 6 with only 1 accident in first week and pretty much fine since. I'd say go for it. Just layer up bed with spare set of bedding and disposable bedmat and have a duvet to hand if you have

LackingNicknameInspiration Thu 14-Nov-13 14:41:59

One so you can change with minimal disruption if need be.

Good luck. And

LackingNicknameInspiration Thu 14-Nov-13 14:42:37

...please excuse my hamfisted posting - the joy of smart phones!

WiseKneeHair Thu 14-Nov-13 14:45:11

My 3 DSs were all dry in the day by about 2.5 - 3. DS1 took about six months before he was dry at night, DS2 was dry at night immediately and DS3 has just turned 5 and is still only dry about 50:50 (still in pull ups). So, all very different and all within normal range.
If your DD is dry for weeks, then I'd take her out of her pull up and just have a bed mat over the mattress.

bruffin Thu 14-Nov-13 15:10:08

I suspect ds was dry at night before he was dry during the day at 2.9 and was just filling his nappy when he woke up in the morning.
DD on the other hand was dry in the day at 2.3 and was not dry at night until 4.3. You cannot train for night time. Its to do with release of an antiduratic hormone at night that stops the production of urine.

lorisparkle Thu 14-Nov-13 16:59:23

ds2 was dry at night a week after we started toilet training at 3. ds1 is still wet at night and he is 7. as previous posters have said it is biological so will happen when it happens. i gave it a week of dry pull ups before stopping altogether. ds2 has a rare wet bed. we use waterproof sheet and a bed mat. it is the wet duvet that gets me though .

Deliaskis Fri 15-Nov-13 14:47:41

Oooh I didn't expect this many replies so quickly. I realise now that my question was akin to how long is a piece of string, but interesting to see different perspectives anyway.

Good point about wet duvet, I had thought of bottom sheets and protective sheets etc. but not duvet!

Think I will go for it over the weekend and see how we go, if she has an accident or seems unhappy about I'll leave it until the new year.

Thanks for replies
Dx

CharlotteBronteSaurus Fri 15-Nov-13 14:50:44

dd1 - nearly three years' gap between being dry by day and dry by night

dd2 - a week. we kept her in pull-ups just in case for months due to our experience with dd1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now