ok to wait till DD (2.8) shows she's ready for potty or should I lead her?

(10 Posts)
dreamsofsleep Tue 05-Nov-13 20:08:45

I first tried training DD when she was 2.2 and gave up after 2 days with peeing on the hour, every hour, on the floor. Now I'm nearly a week into attempt no 2. Nothing in potty after 6 days but she now sometimes gives signs that she knows a wee is coming (has known poo coming for months). However she does NOT want to sit on the potty at the moment the wee or poo is coming and gets upset if I try to encourage her at that crucial moment. At other times she will sit on potty to read stories, or to 'keep me company' while I sit on the loo.
TBH my wish and instinct is to just wait until she tells me she is ready, or maybe ask her once a month or something like that. She is very strong willed and she is bright and so I think the more she is pushed the more she will fight something. But maybe I'm deluded in thinking if I wait it will be easier - maybe she's just not going to be easy to train and I should just keep at it. Advice and experiences of late training v slow and painful training or anything else would be hugely appreciated.

Munxx Tue 05-Nov-13 21:45:00

I'll join in. DD is 3 in December and potty training is just not happening. She is not interested at all.

Cluelessat30 Tue 05-Nov-13 21:48:28

I found waiting for my DD to be ready far easier. MIL and DH were pushing for training her and she was hav

Dd1 was similar. Tried aged just 3 which resulted in lots of tantrums. Back to nappies til she was 3.2, tried again and she got it in a couple of days and has hardly ever had accidents since (she is now 6.9) She still needed encouragement (ie chocolate buttons and sticker charts) but looking back it was right to wait. Dd2 was asking aged 2.8 to stop wearing nappies and was dry in a couple of days, no bribes needed.

They are all different, and for me, late training wasn't a problem. Some people would be a bit judgemental, but I didn't really care.

Upshot being, if I were you, I would wait.

Cluelessat30 Tue 05-Nov-13 21:52:57

Eek...
Was having none of it. When she announced she was ready she floored us by insisting on no nappy at bedtime either and amazingly in the first week she had 3 accidents in the night. That was it. And daytime went really well too, and she could tell us in plenty of time when she needed to go.

dreamsofsleep Thu 07-Nov-13 20:52:39

Sorry for absence! thanks so much for your responses, comforting to hear of success with later training. Think I will persist for a little while longer and then just postpone ...

englishbreakfast Thu 07-Nov-13 22:49:51

We first attempted potty training when DD was 2.4 and had mainly accidents with very few successes for 2 weeks. Tried again a couple of months later and she's had no accidents since day 2 and was dry at night a couple of weeks later.

17leftfeet Thu 07-Nov-13 23:00:44

Dd1 had several failed attempts then at 2.10 I decided enough was enough and told her the nappies were going and she was having big girl pants

She insisted no potty so I asked her if she wanted wet knickers and she said no

She still insisted no potty but said she wanted to use the toilet so I got one of those squishy toddler seats and away we went

Clean and dry in 2 days day and night!

awwwwmannnn Wed 13-Nov-13 20:47:38

i'd definitely wait if she's not ready!! after many failed attempts to potty train DD from the age 2.5 with no success, i put her back in her nappies and left her to it!! last a week ago she informed me no more nappies mammy - i put her knickers on her and reminded her she must use potty for wee's and poo's, and in 2 days she was dry, no looking back!! she must have been well and truly ready and it took no effort at all on our part, apart from heaps and heaps of praise which was easy to do lol

she'll be 3 on Monday and i was beginning to think she'd never get there grin

Munxx Fri 10-Jan-14 14:34:56

Just popping back to say we successfully potty trained DD over the Christmas holidays once she had just turned three!

Pleased we waited until SHE was ready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now