seems too early a little advice please

(9 Posts)
hannahkj19 Mon 21-Oct-13 20:21:22

So DS has been showing an interest in his potty for a few months but this past week has had a few successes/lucky goes on it! He has asked to sit on it and then done two poos and if I say I'm going for a wee he will follow me ask for his nappy off and sit on his potty where he has sometimes done a wee but other times done nothing. If I ask if he'd like to sit on his potty he is very keen and will do so nappyless again with or without success. He also tells me that 'my potty is for wee and poo poo mummy'. My hesitation is that he's only just 20 months. His communication skills have always been very good so I'm not surprised he can explain the potty but concerned it may be too early for him to have grasped the complete concept! Advice please, what would you do?! Xxx TIS

Jaffakake Mon 21-Oct-13 20:58:42

Your son sounds much more ready than ours did & we gave it a whirl last week. Our ds is 26 months. We've stopped trying as he just doesn't quite get it yet. I'd give it a go if I were you.

You'll know within a week if its going to work. Buy tonnes of pants & spare jogging bottoms. We were on a maximum of 6 changes a day (like I said, it wasn't working!).

ScottishInSwitzerland Wed 23-Oct-13 21:08:47

If if were me I would just stick with letting him use the potty when he asks and when you're going to the loo.

Could you move to pull ups to make this easier, eg when you're out and about?

See how that goes for a bit then think about full on potty training?

hannahkj19 Thu 31-Oct-13 09:13:49

So with the advice of nursery we went for it and we are now two days nappy free and no accidents!!!! Xxx

Jaffakake Thu 31-Oct-13 19:10:14

Well done! 2 days in & I was drying jogging bottoms by the fire even though we didn't need the fire on!

TerrorMeSue Thu 31-Oct-13 19:16:10

Go for it. Two of mine were done at around that age. If they are interested then it is SO much easier than an argumentative 2 yr old. Just be prepared to remember to take them to the loo every 2-3hrs for quite a while after they're trained.

(Also expect a regression after a couple of weeks, totally normal)

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 02-Nov-13 11:36:43

Can I hijack for a sec? my 18m old ds is similar but c a not talk yet. his main hobby right now is sitting on the loo (I don't do potties - ds1 & 2 not toilet trained til nearly 3). my main problem is him refusing to have a nappy or pull ups on & then him taking them off himself. Advice please.....

TerrorMeSue Sat 02-Nov-13 13:25:15

Teach him a sign for toilet?

bumperella Sun 10-Nov-13 23:02:57

My DD loved to strip off at about that age! Was v annoying as she was lightening quick and was invariably bitterly cold and wet and public...I left DD to it (hypothermia permitting) and encouraged her to sit on potty/toilet whenever she wanted to. Sadly the phase passed without any poo/wee ending up in the right place. But if yours is having any success or seems able to tell when he's about to go then it would sound like he's ready.
I don't think language skills correlate to bladder control, my DD is very very chatty (convincing me to potty train at 2yo) but had no idea why she was suddenly splashing in a puddle of yellow "water".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now