DD (2.8) scared of public toilets

(4 Posts)
JulieAnderton Sun 13-Oct-13 09:46:52

My DD has been frightened of public toilets since she was a baby. She cries and says "no, don't like it" whenever I take her into toilets either to change her nappy or for me to go. It's usually a bit of a struggle and I end up having to carry her into the toilets as she refuses to walk. I think it's possibly the noise of the hand driers that she dislikes, but I'm not sure. It doesn't matter where we are - shopping centre, toddler group, restaurant etc, her reaction is always the same.

I'm starting to think about potty/toilet training her, but I can't get my head around how it'll work when we're out and about if she hates going into public toilets.

Has anyone else come across this? What did you do? Thank you.

happydutchmummy Sun 13-Oct-13 09:56:19

I explained to my dd that a baby dragon lives in the hand drier and has to practice blowing hot air. Baby dragons are very funny and friendly and kind and just need help learning how to blow hot air, but explain that some can be noisy... Dd now now has friendly chats with all hand driers in public toilets.

All baby dragons have to go to hand drier school, although one has recently started living in our hair dryer too!

We also got a pottette portable potty which comes with disposable plastic bags. If your dd refuses public toilets, then at least you'll have a potty to use instead!

alyant79 Mon 28-Oct-13 13:17:49

I have the same problem with my DD too (2.2yo). We've just trained her, successfully, and in only a few days, but I just can't get her to use a public toilet. We even bought a pottette plus to use as a trainer seat but she just WON'T. sad
the other day I had to get her to squat on the floor with a pile of toilet paper underneath her to soak up her wee. blush
on the plus side she is very good at holding her wee, but I just know that we need to sort out this fear.

I like the baby dragon idea. Perhaps I need to come up with something friendly that lives in the toilet.

RosebudTheCat Wed 13-Nov-13 23:56:38

DS doesn't like hand driers either, but it seems he thought he would have to use one, and once I explained he didn't have to, it calmed him down a lot.

Also helps to use the baby changing room as it is private so even if there is a drier no one else will be using it. Take a portable potty with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now