HOW do I get my toddler to do that first wee in the potty??

(13 Posts)
mumoftwoboysS Wed 25-Sep-13 13:29:30

My DS is 2yrs 8 months and has so far not shown that much interest in using the potty- apart from saying he wants to wear big boy pants now and then. I'm fed up of him using nappies- he keeps forgetting or not telling me he's pooed and ends up with a sore bum. I keep saying he'll get a sticker if he tells me- still very hit and miss. I don't know if I need him to be telling he he's done a wee/poo before potty training. He's certainly not telling me he NEEDS a wee or poo!

So this morning I tried a bit of potty training- he is very eager to sit on the potty for ages reading books etc. The 10 minutes he spent off it playing in his pants was when he did a wee and poo. He didn't tell me either, I just noticed the puddle and asked him! He has sat on the potty in the past but NEVER done anything in it. I'm frustrated as I can't imagine how potty training is going to progress if he can't do 1 wee in the potty for me to praise him etc to get him to realise what he needs to do!

any advice most grateful. I could leave it a few months but really want him trained before December as have DC3 on the way!

mumoftwoboysS Wed 25-Sep-13 13:30:48

oh and I have put up a reward chart and told him if he collects all the stickers he'll get a toy car. (he's not really into sweets or chocolate unfortunately as it'd be good bribery!)

am988 Wed 25-Sep-13 20:08:42

Very interested to find out answers to your thread.... my boy is 2.5 yrs, he tells me when he poos ... or when nappy is too wet, but refuses to sit on potty...he s not interested...so maybe he s not ready? ?...

Surely you need to check his nappies more frequently or use nappy cream to avoid rash. That's not his fault.

We had nappy free time and that helped ds to get it. Does he see his elder sibling using the loo?

mamalovebird Wed 25-Sep-13 20:19:04

With treats and a reward chart. I went cold turkey with nappies and he was naked from the waist for the first three days. We had a smiley face & choc buttons for a wee and a gold star & jelly sweet for a poo. I used shape blocks so he could dip them into paint and he printed his own star/smiley.
We were done in a week. Never went back to nappies. He was dry at night about 6 months later. Incorporated a wee into the bedtime routine as his last thing to do before bed.

mamalovebird Wed 25-Sep-13 20:20:10

Meant to say ds was 2.5

YoniBottsBumgina Wed 25-Sep-13 20:23:22

YY do nappy free time.

If you have another baby due in December though, don't do it now. It will probably take longer than 3 months if he's not ready (he doesn't sound ready) plus, the upheaval from a new sibling can cause them to regress which means you have to start again from square one!

Is it an issue with him starting nursery - does he start in January or is it the next intake?

Jojopumpkinmama Wed 25-Sep-13 20:35:09

I don't think it's possible to avoid mess and accidents, so I guess just be prepared for lots of that. What worked with our dd was an immediate reward that she could choose herself. We took her to the shop, got a little bag and let her choose lots of little presents (really cheap nonsense like packets of crayons, toy cars, little bracelets). So she knew the rewards were real and that she could choose one from the bag whenever she did a wee/poo on the potty. Bribery, I know, and probably a bit frowned upon, but it bloody worked and she soon forgot about the rewards as she got more confident going on the potty.

marzipananimal Wed 25-Sep-13 20:40:42

Try giving him a big drink of juice, th3n about 30mins later sit him on potty and read stories/watch favourite tv prog. He'll do it eventually! DS decided to potty train just after DH's paternity leave finished after DC2 was born hmm. It's actually been fine though (mostly)

superzero Wed 25-Sep-13 20:41:05

I just went for it.We had no gradual potty usage.I'd been reading Pirate Pete's Potty a bit but DS wasn't very interested.He was 2.6.Just one day when I had a 4 day window put the big boy pants on and that was it.We spent all day in the kitchen/dining room so it was very obvious what was going on.I used bribes;sticker and sweet for a wee,had maybe 3-4 wees on floor or leather sofa but by the second day all wees were in the potty.Then poos just followed and he just knew it had to be in the potty.

mumoftwoboysS Fri 27-Sep-13 20:05:09

Thanks for all your advice/info!

creatureretorts I do check his nappy regularly thank you- I think it was due to him having a dodgy tum one day and it was really acidic, triggering the nappy rash, now if the poo is there for more than a few minutes it goes red again. I never said it was his fault, just his lack of telling me when he's done a poo isn't helping the situation. (and yes I've been piling the nappy rash cream on- I do know how to look after my kids)

Jojopumpkin that's a great idea - a bag full of little cheap toys- especially as he doesn't really like sweets or chocolate (which is only annoying when trying to do things like this!)

He may well not be ready yet- I guess it's one of those things, maybe I need to try for a few days and if he really doesn't get the idea, then leave it a few months- or till after the baby is born. He will be going to pre-school in the spring term, but its not that I need him potty trained till then, just thought it was time to test the water, see if he's ready!

Regarding nappy free time- I'm a bit nervous about that- after all we have wooden floor and rugs in our lounge/dining area so unless I cover it with towels or confine him to the kitchen it could be really messy. I of course understand there will be mess! With his older brother I put a few towels out and put the potty in the lounge- I guess with pants I'm just thinking at least it catches some of the wee and all the poo!

Sorry, I realised I was a bit rude. I read more into your OP than was there.

mumoftwoboysS Wed 02-Oct-13 14:03:37

Well thanks for the apology creature.

So I had pretty much given up as thought we weren't getting anywhere and then dc asked to sit on the potty this morning. 5 mins later he says i done a poo! I couldn't believe it!

Lots of praise, sticker on chart and a kinder egg. Then half an hour later he said he wanted to go again. Then a wee and a poo!!! After lunch he did a wee on the floor. I saw him leaning on a chair looking thoughtful and was going to ask him if he needed the potty but was too late. So next time will look out for a pause in his playing.

Sill not sure how it's going to go but now feel like I should persevere a bit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now