How to deal with demands for a nappy to be put on when PT'ing?

(21 Posts)
PeanutPatty Tue 24-Sep-13 23:56:38

Day 2 and I'm ready to quit.

DS is 2.10. First day was amazing. Lots of wees in potty whilst at home and bare bummed. Putting himself on the potty and showing me his work. Second day he did a poo on the potty under duress. He was begging for his nappy as he needed a poo. All other wees were on the floor or in his pants. He is now refusing to sit on the potty and is crying asking for his nappy to be out on. WWYD?

I'm just potty training dd, this is around wk 4, to start with she asked for her nappy back on especially for a poo or in the morning when she couldn't be bothered! I refused and told her she's a big girl now and 4 weeks in she doesn't ask anymore, we've had days where she's had no accidents and days where she's not done one on the potty but now I feel like we are in the swing of it, she even pulls her own nappy off in the morning to go to the potty, I think consistency is the key. Once you take them out keep them out apart from night time and be prepared for a few accidents even when out, for the first time out I bribed her with a gingerbread man if she used her potty just to get her to see it was ok, now she's fine and asks herself, I wouldn't use pull ups as they know they are nappys and for dd I bought her pants she likes so she wanted to put them on, in her case they are boys because she loves fireman Sam wanting to be like her cousin but hey whatever works!

PeanutPatty Wed 25-Sep-13 18:08:34

He won't sit on the potty now at all. I really think seeing his poo in the potty has properly freaked him out. I've had to put him back in nappies as he won't use the potty. Not sure whether its the right or wrong thing. Tbh I'm too knackered to battle this at the moment. Perhaps I will wait til he is 3.

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Wed 25-Sep-13 18:13:24

Could you try him on the toilet?

JuliaScurr Wed 25-Sep-13 18:17:36

it can cause anxiety - dd doesn't cope well with anxiety, so went back to nappies, waited and tried again later

PeanutPatty Thu 26-Sep-13 21:03:26

I tried the toilet and he will sit for a few seconds then get off. Tried again tonight before bath to sit on the potty and he said he was too little and it was too difficult. shock He sat it on very briefly. Blink and you'd miss it. So I think we will have to abandon all hope of PTing for now. I worry we will do more damage pursuing it and it will become a huge ordeal for him and I don't want that. Looks like we had beginners luck with DayOne. sad

DorisShutt Thu 26-Sep-13 21:15:07

DS did exactly this at 2.10.

He's now 2.11.75 (not that he's counting) grin and happy as larry having decided himself to do it. Touch wood, but the only accidents have been at nursery when the rollers were in use, plus a few aiming issues. However, he refuses the potty, it must be the toilet; he can then send poo back to Pooland.

PeanutPatty Thu 26-Sep-13 22:48:00

He is 2.11 almost. I'm not sure when to think about trying again though. Couple of friends said their boys asked to use the potty and they took their cue from that. But I worry he could 5 and still in nappies.

DorisShutt Fri 27-Sep-13 06:17:20

Honestly, a month ago I thought the same. Few of DS's friends were trained and he had no inclination. We'd tried the big boy pants talk, rewards and nothing worked so we give up.

Then one day, he just had a huge strop about not wanting his nappy on - I told him it was nappies or pants and he used the toilet... and he was dry within 2 days. We've combined it with a star chart and toy cars, and it's brilliant.
He still uses pull ups at night, and we're just starting to experiment with pants on longer journeys, but it's all good.

Bearandcub Fri 27-Sep-13 06:20:18

You are doing the right thing in listening to him. Perhaps he's not ready yet.

Give him a choice daily of pants or nappy and see how things progress.

marzipananimal Fri 27-Sep-13 08:41:28

Don't worry, DS was very similar but potty trained just before his 3rd birthday, I thought it might never happen!He likedbthe book Pirate Pete's Potty and we did use bribery, but basically we jyst had to wait til he wanted to do it. We left the potty around and let him have his jappy off when he wanted but there was no pressure to use the potty

MartinPlattRGN Fri 27-Sep-13 08:48:55

Will he wee in the potty? If he's wetting himself I'd put him back in nappies and wait, they seem to be ready to be dry at vastly different ages, but what do I know, I had to revive a zombie thread earlier cos my 3.5 year old won't poo on the potty sad

PeanutPatty Fri 27-Sep-13 18:22:55

Won't wee in it. In fact he peed right in front of it all over the floor and then came to ask for a reward. I like the giving him the choice of pants or nappies. Will see where that leads us.

MartinPlattRGN Fri 27-Sep-13 19:16:15

He doesn't really sound ready - maybe try again in a month?

PeanutPatty Mon 30-Sep-13 12:58:33

I'm going to ask him before bath each night if he wants to sit on the potty but no pressure. I will try PT again in a few weeks.

shamble Mon 30-Sep-13 20:36:44

ooh this is really useful. In the same position with DS 2.11. He's perfectly able but just will. not. Wants nappy on. Starting to despair.

ane123 Sat 05-Oct-13 21:38:40

Is it wrong for a 5 year old to be in nappies? Everything is fine with him!

ane123 Sat 05-Oct-13 21:40:42

Is it wrong for a 5 year old to be in nappies? Everything is fine with him!

conorsrockers Sat 05-Oct-13 21:53:14

Chill out everybody!! It's really not a competition and if you leave it until they are absolutely ready then it will be done in a day - if you try to force it there will be tears on both sides and unnecessary stress. Pick your battles - this is not one you need to have, and before 3, especially for a boy, is torture (to back that statement up I have three of them) - spend all that time when you would have been washing, pacing, doing sticker charts and clearing up widdles on something fun!! Life is just toooo short. gringringrin

5madthings Sat 05-Oct-13 21:56:05

What about letting him wee standing up? Does he have a step so he can wee in the toilet?

When my boys were potty training they delighted in weeing against a tree/bush in the garden.

Will he stay on the potty longer if you brbie him/distract him ie with a book to look at or toy to play with.

But if he is really upset I would leave it for a bit.

5madthings Sat 05-Oct-13 21:58:23

I agree if you leave it till they are ready it's done in days.

Four boys here.

Ds1 trained at 18mths, just did it himself much to my surprise!

Ds2 was coming up to three

Ds3 same as ds2

Ds4 was three years and four months.

My dd trained this summer at 2.5

Each of them has been trained with hardly any accidents in a matter of days, tho ds2 had a bit of an issue with doing poos .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now