using the toilet art home and nappies when out- how to progress ?

(5 Posts)
dedado Mon 16-Sep-13 18:55:10

My 2yo is doing well at home, can wear pants and takes himself off to the toilet when he needs to use it. He's quite happy to wear nappies part-time (when we're out, he won't mention that he needs to use a toilet) but we will need to move on sometime.

So what are the options for progressing to using toilets when out and about ?
public toilets are big , but I could take our toilet training seat from home.
public toilets are not everywhere, so I could take a potty with me.
How did you do it ?

alarkaspree Mon 16-Sep-13 19:06:10

You just have to bite the bullet really. Just don't put him in nappies, start with short trips and see how it goes. Chances are he is not telling you he needs to use the loo partly because he's wearing a nappy and doesn't really need to. Rather than waiting for him to tell you he needs it, take him to the loo whenever there is an opportunity (you will have to carry on doing this even when your children are MUCH older...).

Take a change of clothes with you in case of accidents. You will have the odd one but it's not the end of the world and he will soon get the hang of it.

We have one of these. DD has only used it as a potty once, but uses it as a toilet seat when we are away from home. She isn't keen on toilets without a toddler seat, which is fair enough and it stops her from having to hold onto the seat of a public loo.

dedado Mon 16-Sep-13 20:28:01

Thanks, yes I encourage him to use the toilet at home before we go out and he will pee on command. It's just not very enticing to lose the convenience of nappies yet! The travel potty that doubles as a toilet seat looks good. mothercare are currently selling it for 10.50, the liners are expensive though.

How many nappies are you going through? You could compare the cost of the liners to nappies and how often he might use a liner compared to a toilet/weeing behind a bush. It is a PITA when you lose nappies and you have to constantly prompt "do you need a wee" and the world outside is too exciting to leave it for a toilet break, so accidents seem more likely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now