What is the earliest it is sensible to train?

(10 Posts)
brettgirl2 Sun 08-Sep-13 21:27:06

Dd is 20 months. I have been putting her on potty since she could sit up in the hope of avoiding the fear factor later, and it was just 'luck' but she was happy to sit and deliberately produced both poo and wee. Progress had been zero, but that was obviously ok and in line with expectations grin . She seems to be saying 'poo poo' when she needs a wee or poo. Today she got a bit cross when she was out and had to wee in her nappy. I'm just not ready, I was hoping she'd start this around 2 or just past like my other one.

Does anyone honestly train them at that age? Whatever gina ford/ grandmothers generation (who didn't have cars or go out that much) might think, is it even possible? confused

I suppose I could use pull ups but I really dislike disposable nappies.....

DeathMetalMum Sun 08-Sep-13 21:31:02

According to my mum I took my nappy off at 18 months said I didn't want it anymore and that was that, no training needed. You can always try without nappies and see.

NotCitrus Sun 08-Sep-13 22:46:22

Potty training needs them to be willing to do it on the potty, to say when they need to go, and then to be able to hang on until they get there (or notice early enough).
If she can do the first two then you have 'potty timing' which may be useful and was called 'trained' back in the days of tough laundry, but expect accidents.

brettgirl2 Mon 09-Sep-13 17:33:50

haha yes that's it, I just can't imagine bunging her in the car or a supermarket trolley in pants grin

I'll have a think and might try pants in the at first house if it continues. I talked to her nursery today also and they didn't laugh at me. But they don't have to take her out do they? wink

I'm having to try now with my 20mo because of a skin condition. It's tricky n we still have nappies for going out but if they are willing then why not give it a go?

hardboiledpossum Wed 11-Sep-13 20:28:32

When i worked in a nursery there were always a couple of girls who were dry between 18 and 24 months.

It's not too early, that's the age I gave it a go with DD in May this year, she was reliable within a month. It really does sound like she's ready. In DD's case, she PT only 6 months after her older brother! She is now more reliable than him hmm
Go for it smile
A quick tip, I used to put those disposable change mats underneath her in the car seat smile

my son is 2 & has been dry for a month since the weekend we trained him.

disagree re having to be willing to sit on potty. if they are dry 50% of mornings and tell you when dirty, they are ready.

set aside 3 days, explain about big boy pants, dont go out, spend day one with entire house covered in wee but they get there day two.

dont give up, be consistent, do not use pull ups or revert to nappies and it will work. dont be phased by day 1/2 pissfest!

gina ford was totally correct when she said the vast majority of kids are ready at 18-24 months and its the parents that hold it back. its hard work but if you set aside the time at the right age (20-26 months) its a lot easier than dealing with an obnoxious 3 year old.

Dd was very much like this and I shared your concerns. We just went for it. Our nursery were supportive too and she had very few accidents from the off. She just seemed to have decided against nappies and that was that. That was at 21 months. Only downside was from 22 months she refused to wear a nappy at night and has very rarely slept through since (now 3.8!). Gah!

matana Sat 05-Oct-13 07:40:37

My ds's nursery worker said that average age now is 2.5 for girls and later for boys with 3 not being unusual. But yes I've heard of others being potty trained between 18 months and 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now