Fear of underpants!

(7 Posts)

While it sounds ridiculous, my 3yo is terrified of wearing underwear. To the point where he will kick and scream and even if you get them on him, will keep screaming until they are off. Even if they're on over a nappy. Even if we promise him a treat if he keeps them on.

He's doing fairly well with training itself (though the hot weather has meant he considers his paddling pool to be an outdoor toilet! grin) but how can I get him out of nappies if he won't wear pants? I have no idea where this fear has come from, he hasn't had any traumatic pants-related experiences that I'm aware of.
Could it be a "new clothes" issue rather than a "pants" issue? Though he's normally okay with new t-shirts and trousers, could it be he doesn't like the change?

Any suggestions are welcome, I am stumped!

heidihole Thu 25-Jul-13 10:46:46

Have no experience but does he have a favourite character? Thomas the tank pants, or fireman sam pants? If you take him to the shop and HE chooses them that may make a difference.

Hm, he does quite like Thomas. Getting to the shops with him is a pain, but it's probably worth a shot!

Has he got a favourite teddy who can also start wearing pants? You might be able to turn it into a bit of a game or teddy might be able to tell you why he doesn't like pants

very interested to know if anyone has a solution to this as I have exactly the same..... despite a stock of Spiderman, Thomas, dinosaurs and Toy Story pants.
They have been torn off and sent flying across the room for months. Kicking, screaming.
And he holds his poos in for days.... so you're not alone!
I'm thinking of trying the star chart/chocolate button approach.... as we need to get this done before nursery starts! ( DS is 2.11 )

5madthings Fri 09-Aug-13 17:48:06

My ds1 was like this for a while so he just wore shorts/trousers without pants under. He eventually wore pants after we found some in a shop and they came in a bag that was like a free gift. Anyway he thought his 'bag of pants' was fabulous and then started wearing plants but he went commando for about six months!

superbagpuss Fri 09-Aug-13 17:51:11

there is a book about dinosaurs wearing pants - not sure if this would be helpful?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now