Three weeks of potty training but DS still won't poo in potty

(8 Posts)
Lolly12 Sun 21-Jul-13 14:28:01

DS is 2.8 months, started potty training three weeks ago and he has been brilliant with wees, only a handful of accidents and he's even had a few dry nappies in the morning. Poos are another matter entirely as he won't tell us he needs one, says he doesn't need one when asked and won't even try to go when on toilet or potty. So we end up with a poo in his pants usually once a day.

Just not sure what to do really. Getting frustrated as if we need to go anywhere and he has not pooed we risk a messy accident while out (which not always easy to deal with with a baby in tow), but not keen on going back to nappies now he's pretty much dry. Is it just a case of riding it out and ploughing through the extra washing? Any tips? So far tried bribery, and poo goes to pooland with no success, and waiting for signs he is about to poo then sticking potty under him. This worked once when caught the end of a poo in potty and made a big fuss about him getting some poo in the potty, but a couple of other times he's got upset and held the poo in if he's not already done it.

juneau Sun 21-Jul-13 17:34:08

Does he have a regular time of day for poos? If not, I'd keep trying at home and just put him in a pull-up for going out. If he's not familiar with them you can just call them 'special pants' or something (without telling him they're basically a nappy), and switch back to normal pants at home.

As for incentives - have you tried sticker charts, a treat size packet of buttons, a small toy? I can understand your frustration - poo is vile.

Lolly12 Sun 21-Jul-13 19:58:45

He used to be regular before potty training but it's not so predictable now unfortunately. I think we will maybe resort to pull ups if we are out and due a poo... I did use them for his naps at first so he is used to them, but went to put one on him the other day after a loose poo and he said "that's a baby's nappy mummy" sad.

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried stickers, chocolate, toys but he's not interested. Will persevere.

TurnipIsTaken Sun 21-Jul-13 22:35:22

Ds is like this, pees sorted but won't tell me he is about to do a poo.

Does he usually have a bath at night? Think the warm water helps it along. Tonight I noticed he was about to do a poo in the bath and lifted him onto the potty. Success and he was really pleased with himself.

juneau Sun 21-Jul-13 22:36:06

Does he understand why you need to put him in a pull-up? I know he's still really young, but can you reason with him along the lines of: 'X I'd be really happy to put you in a pair of pants while we go shopping, but you don't tell me when you need to poo, so it's just too messy'? If bribery isn't working, then perhaps a bit of the cold, hard practicalities of life will.

I had terrible problems with DS1 and poo (he was a very late potty trainer and then a with-holder, so I can really sympathise with what you're going through).

Lolly12 Mon 22-Jul-13 09:58:36

TurnipIsTaken well done! I think if we manage one poo in the potty we can make a big deal of it and it will really help. He's never been one to go in the evening though and he does have a bath every night.

juneau I think he probably does know why we would put him in a pull up so we'll see if that helps.

He does say when he's doing a poo now but it's too late to get him on the potty. He told me this morning so I quickly whipped off his pants and shorts and put the potty under him, but he'd done most of it so it ended up everywhere all down his leg. I'm wondering if sitting down is the issue as he tends to stand/be lifted for wees.

Toomanyclothesinthecloset Fri 26-Jul-13 04:40:31

It could have been me who wrote this OP, OP!...I am banging my head against the wall with this...any progress?

omama Fri 26-Jul-13 20:36:42

Op hang in there. I did write this exact same post a couple of months ago. We nailed the wees but he just pooped his pants every single day.
In the end we tried a reward chart with the offer of a toy he really really wanted if he got 10 stars. He amazed us by trying & succeeding & that helped him to recognise the feeling. We were really thrilled & thought he'd cracked it & Since then he's having no more accidents, however i think he's now got a potty/toilet aversion - he's barely doing any wees on it & is holding all poos til he's got a nappy on at night.

I tried reminding him but found the more i pressure him the less he wants to go so I am now saying absolutely nothing. The only time i will ask if he needs to go is if we are going out. He's relaxing about it a little so hoping he'll get back into the swing of it soon.

I know how stressful it can be for us adults but my advice is don't pressure him or react if he has an accident (groan inwardly of course wink) & he will get there in his own time. Its quite normal for them to master wee before poo & pretty common with boys especially. Hang in there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now