Day two - zero progress

(60 Posts)
englishbreakfast Tue 16-Jul-13 19:24:51

We started potty training DD (2.4 yo) yesterday. She has shown signs of readiness for a few months. First day was in re-usable training pants, zero effect! We'd put her on the potty every half an hour or so, she's sit for a minute or two, then would get up and pee in the pants at some point later (won't tell us when she's done it, although can feel that pants are wet). All day today went bottomless, same story, we would sit her on the potty every 30 mins, but she would only pee on the carpet (quite cute really, like a little kitten! smile). Managed to catch wee once in 2 days. Have no idea how to encourage her to go in the potty? Any advice from more experienced mums? x

englishbreakfast Sun 21-Jul-13 08:21:30

Yay Breathe and Sage DDs!

DD was dry during out trip to the doctor's yesterday but had a couple of accidents in the evening where she started to wee on the floor and had to be reminded to use potty, so would then run to the potty mid wee and finish there! Her nappy was full this morning and although she's sat on potty a few times, she's not produced anything yet today. She's not drinking enough so maybe doesn't want to go. Tbh I'm not expecting much progress until she's better as she's probably distracted by feeling a bit miserable, but we will probably stick with the training unless it starts to upset her.

Your poor DD - I hope she feels better soon.

englishbreakfast Sun 21-Jul-13 16:47:35

DD's been miserable all day today and we had nothing but accidents. She sat on the potty a lot but not managed to go once despite clearly wanting and would then get up and pee on the floor. This afternoon she started to get upset, as was trying the potty but not managing to do anything. She's also got spots around her wee / poo area so must be feeling pretty uncomfortable down there sad. DH is not keen to carry on as feels she's feeling rubbish so we shouldn't be making her more uncomfortable, so we've decided to stop for now. Will start again when she's better and hopefully some of the stuff she's learned over the past few days will have stuck. Best of luck everyone with your potty training! x

SageYourResoluteOracle Sun 21-Jul-13 22:06:07

Awww. Poor poppet. I think you're doing the right thing. She just needs to be comfy right now. Good luck to you too! It's been nice having support.

I think you are doing the right thing - prioritising her comfort now. We stopped and tried again about 2 months later. This didn't seem to be a problem for DD and it has been much more successful this time.

BeaWheesht Sun 21-Jul-13 22:45:38

I'd stop too, the urine will stung her skin so better not to have it running down legs etx. Have you tied bicarbonate of soda bath? They really helped when dd had pox.

Well dd was dry last night again and we left her with dh's mum for a couple of hours so we could get peace to go to Homebase (the glamour!) and she asked to go for a pee and went no bother smile

I'm probably speaking too soon but I don't think she's had any accidents for about 10/11 days now and has been dry maybe 8 nights too.

She's a little madam though as she now says 'need a pee' whenever we are trying to get her to do something she doesn't want to do eg bedtime / getting told off / getting dressed.....

englishbreakfast Sun 21-Jul-13 23:05:12

Aww, thanks ladies! It was weird, I wanted to put a pull up nappy on DD in the afternoon as she was getting frustrated clearly wanting to go but holding it in, and she just refused it outright. So we resorted to training pants. She sat on the potty a few times in the evening of her own accord but didn't do anything, although a couple of times got off it crying as was unable to go, so I am now worried she might be creating negative associations, so will get her to wear pull-ups until we are sorted with this chicken pox nonsense...x

BeaWheesht Sun 21-Jul-13 23:35:53

How old is she English? Old enough to explain why you're putting her back in pull ups?

englishbreakfast Mon 22-Jul-13 18:32:46

Hi Bea, DD's 2y 4m, so could possibly understand but she doesn't seem to be willing to cooperate at the moment! We had hardly any sleep last night as she was feeling poorly, and things were not helped by her screaming she wanted a potty in the middle of the night but not managing to go when sat on it, she then had a full blown tantrum at 3am! shock It took a while to persuade her to stay in a nappy. She asked for potty again when she got up in the morning and managed to wee in it, but then she'd had accidents all day. I don't want to force her into nappies if she doesn't want to wear them, so we're letting her get on with it and she's taking turns wearing pants and going bare bum. We just keep reminding her from time to time that she can go to the potty if she wants to wee / poo but not to worry if not. We have armed ourselves with lots of cleaning products!

BeaWheesht Mon 22-Jul-13 18:53:47

Poor wee soul. (No pun intended)

Well I spoke to soon, dd wet herself just now I think because she was too busy playing outside!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now