Toilet-training with a small penis; wee all over the floor!

(9 Posts)
Esme11 Tue 25-Jun-13 21:47:59

We are not quite ready to potty train yet but it is not far off. I have let my son sit on the potty a few times and noticed that, as his penis is small and sticks straight out when he sits, his urine flow just shoots over the top of the splash guard. I've solved that issue by having him sit backwards on the potty as the back is much higher.

However, I'm not sure what we will do about sitting on the real toilet. I bought a trainer seat that fits over the toilet and has a small splash guard. My son had a go today and the urine just went right over the guard and on the floor. My boy doesn't seem to have enough there to push down. has anyone else had the issue and found a solution? Would it be easier to teach him to stand?

Thanks

AnythingNotEverything Tue 25-Jun-13 21:50:25

I'm not sure size matters - this is a risk with boys! My DS was taught to push his down. I think they have a mind of their own.

Sleepwhenidie Tue 25-Jun-13 21:52:09

Erm...I don't think it matters about size, you have to teach them to push their willies down grin...

Oh and brace yourself for when they start standing up to pee, then they actually have to aim hmm

Esme11 Tue 25-Jun-13 21:52:57

Ah, thanks. I just figured if it was longer, it would dangle down in to the toilet more but my boy's one just pokes straight out when he sits.

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Tue 25-Jun-13 21:57:24

They pretty much all do! Often the point towards the bit between the bowl and the seat too... you have to show them how to push it down while they wee... it's all fun I tell ya hmm

Esme11 Tue 25-Jun-13 22:02:43

Thank you...feeling a bit more optimistic about it now. He just doesn't seem to have much to push down, poor lad.

DramaAlpaca Tue 25-Jun-13 22:05:43

My boys preferred the trainer seat on the loo to the potty. The solution to getting the aim right was to get them to sit a bit further back & then push it down while they wee.

Lunasmum86 Thu 27-Jun-13 18:37:35

My nephew had the same problem, I raised the trainer potty using a pile of books and taught him to stand, this worked well until his penis grew a bit! Happy pottying!!

butterflymum Thu 27-Jun-13 18:50:41

if you were in the USA, you could try these, but if in UK, how about these or google toilet training balls/stickers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now