Potty training from birth

(8 Posts)
mamaloop Tue 18-Jun-13 22:04:59

I learned from my middle eastern mother to potty train my kids from birth using the sink and later potty for them to wee and poo. This has worked so well, My DD was potty fully trained before 2 but doing poos in the loo well before this. My DS is now 9 months old and does most poos in the loo on the toilet seat. He goes on first thing in the morning and then after every meal and every sleep. We have the odd accident, but not really. I haven't found any information about this and no one I speak to has ever heard of such a thing. I am wondering if there is anyone who has done this and would like to share experiences.

VinegarDrinker Tue 18-Jun-13 22:07:29

It tends to be called Elimination Communication or Natural Infant Hygiene

I have friends who have done it

5madthings Tue 18-Jun-13 22:09:49

Its called elimination communication...

I had a friend that did it and it seemed like a faff and too much hard work especially if you have more than one/two children and a busy life with school runs etc.

But if it works for you then great, babies can't actually control their bladder/bowel under 18mths so you are essentially just picking up on 'signals' or routine to when they wee/poo and catch it.

IMO a child is potty trained when they can tell you they need to go and go themselves ie pull up trousers pants etc and just get on with it.

JollyGolightly Tue 18-Jun-13 22:10:25

It's called elimination communication here, I haven't done it but would have liked to - a bit late now and my boys are having to un-learn nappies for potty training. If you google "nappy free babies" there's a lot online. Lucky you to have such a knowledgeable mum!

Tinyflutterby Thu 20-Jun-13 13:49:02

I didn't do this, but my mum suggested what she did with my sister and I and that is as babies, sitting them on the potty every time you take a nappy off to change them. I did this with my ds from about 6 months, the result being that he got used to it from a young age and wasn't scared of it. He is now 22 months and for the past week I have had him in pants during the day. The first couple of days he only had a couple of accidents and by day 3 he was dry. We are still having a little issue with pooing, but I've heard that is quite common and am hoping it will resolve itself soon. I personally wouldn't have taken him out of nappies before 18 months as I've read they don't have bladder/bowel control before that, but if it works for anyone else and you have the time to dedicate to it, then go for it.

Nagoo Thu 20-Jun-13 13:55:31

My son was potty trained before 2, just because he was ready to be.

I think that a person who does this makes a lot of work and that there is hardly any difference in the result.

If you have all the time in the world and like being weed on, then whatever floats your boat, I'm glad you think it works. I don't believe there is anything more to it than being able to guess when they are going to wee/poo.

5madthings Thu 20-Jun-13 14:25:38

My ds1 trained at 18mths, he just did it himself, he always had nappy free time and just started weeing in the toilet!

Ds2 was nearer to three yes, ds3 was about the same and ds4 was 3urs 4mths. Bit each of them were trained in a matter of days because they were ready to do it.

Dd is 2.5 and showing signs of being ready but she doesn't want to do it yet, so o shall wait and follow her lead, give her plenty of nappy free time etc.

If e,nomination communication works for some them fine but to me it just seems like unnecessary hard work and ultimately they all be there in the end and no one cares when they were trained in the long run.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 20-Jun-13 14:29:12

There's a book called diaper free baby which goes into all of this. It is a perfectly valid method of bringing up a child, just a bit niche.

I only ECd part time but no dirty nappies after about 9 months is great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now