Potty training 2.2yo using potty as an excuse to get down from the table

(6 Posts)
2beornot Wed 12-Jun-13 22:12:18

Oh but would definitely do the whole toilet and hand washing routine before every meal.

2beornot Wed 12-Jun-13 22:00:45

See I wouldn't go down that route. I'd take her every time, no fuss, little contact etc. What she wants is the reaction from you, when she realises that she won't get it, she'll stop. I also don't think it's right to refuse to take a potty training 2 yo to the toilet.

I should give the caveat that my 2.5 yo isn't potty trained yet and I may well change my answer in a few months time. grin

DIYandEatCake Wed 12-Jun-13 21:31:39

Thanks! I think you're right, it's hard though as she's been so hot and cold about the potty I've been trying to be really positive and encouraging... But she is definitely trying it on!

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Wed 12-Jun-13 13:51:45

OR if she would really hate it - make her wear a nappy at meal times.

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Wed 12-Jun-13 13:51:09

I'd pretty hard line smile I'd take her to the potty before a meal, refuse to allow her to get up again and would tell her what the consequences of wetting her knickers would be (no TV/playing in the bath/pudding) - whatever hits the spot.

Totally different if she genuinely needed to go though smile but not if she's just playing you - which she is!

DIYandEatCake Wed 12-Jun-13 13:48:04

Dd is 2.2 and we're doing kind of casual potty training at home, ie letting her wear knickers and use the potty at home when she wants to. She's pretty good at using the potty when she wants to and seems to have pretty good control.

She is also a little monkey and many things are a bit of a battle of wills. She's not the biggest fan of mealtimes - and we do it properly, all sitting at the table together, choice of nice food etc etc - and has cottoned on that saying she needs a wee means she can get down from the table. I let her - but then make her come back and sit back at the table again. But she has started asking for a wee up to 3 or 4 times in a meal, each time squeezes out a few drops into the potty, then kicks up a huge fuss when I sit her back at the table. Once I refused to let her get down and she squeezed a bit of wee out into her knickers. This is driving me crazy and I'm not really sure how to deal with it. Advice please!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now