So, who else is starting on Saturday?

(220 Posts)
ItsAllTLAsToMe Thu 09-May-13 20:48:18

We're going to start potty training DS (2.8) on Saturday. Is anyone else starting then too?

mikkii Fri 28-Jun-13 20:26:14

With DS he wore nappies or pull ups, but would still ask sometimes or the potty, always sat On the potty while his bath was running.

With DD1 we tried, had a horrific day 1, on day 2 she demanded her nappy. We waited a month and tried again. It happened to be while we were on holiday, we did put her in pull ups when out, but explained thy were only for emergencies, and would whip her bum out over a drain or a tree if she mentioned she wanted a wee. She came home from the holiday potty trained.

I would wait a while then try again, maybe 4-6 weeks, but keep offering the potty when convenient, such as when you change her and at bath time.

It isn't a failure, it was worth a try, but she doesn't sound ready.

DS was 2.7, DD1 was 2.4 and DD2 waited until 2.6 which I thought was late for a girl, but she seems ahead of her friends.

MrsPennyapple Fri 28-Jun-13 11:32:29

Thanks for asking Mikkii, glad it's been going well for you.

DD has been in nappies all this week. I just haven't been able to face mopping up puddles every ten minutes, I just don't have the energy right now. I can't see any way we could leave the house with her not in a nappy, so it seems a bit conflicting to try and teach her to use the potty at home, but still pee when she likes if we're out and about. I'm not really sure how to tackle it, to be honest. Maybe I need to do some more reading about the "how to" of potty training.

mikkii Thu 27-Jun-13 19:39:34

Mrs Pennyapple, how has it gone this week? We have done really well, DD came home from the New Forest in knickers on Monday and stayed dry, she hadn't been to the loo for a couple of hours before we left either!

She pooed in the night last night so I am sticking with nighttime nappies a it longer.

Monday she moved into a bed for the first time, so bedtimes we interesting this week hmm

MrsPennyapple Sun 23-Jun-13 17:54:04

Ok, am a whisker away from giving up and admitting defeat for now. Every success makes me think she does know what we're trying to achieve, but is outnumbered about 5-1 by messes on the floor. Every time I ask if she wants a wee / poo the answer is no, whether she does or not. The successes are generally when I've sat her on the potty and got her to stay there for a while.

We did have one day where at least four times, she voluntarily sat herself on the potty and wee'd. But just now I said her name five or six times before she decided to throw a glance my way, so I said "don't forget, on the potty if you want to do a wee" - no response, and then five seconds later she's peeing on the floor, and not just a little bit.

I'm 33 weeks pg, getting down on the floor to mop up piss every ten minutes is not funny. I have mentioned to Dh that it would be helpful if he could keep an eye on her too, rather than being completely oblivious and gawping at the TV. It's always me diving for the potty, and then cleaning up the resulting puddles.

Sorry, this has turned into a bit of a rant, it's just her completely blanking me is really starting to wind me up. She DOES know what we are doing, she has figured out the connection between potty and chocolate, and she has figured out that asking for the potty is a good way to get my attention if I dare to try and do anything else, so I don't for one minute believe she doesn't understand. Ideas anyone?

MamandeRose Fri 21-Jun-13 12:26:42

Is it too late to join? We started today, encouraged on another thread smile. Not a bad first morning, several wees and a poo on toilet and just a couple of wet pants when it took us by surprise. DD now napping in her pull-ups (have been using them for months), and fingers crossed for the afternoon!

Brilliant, MrsPenny smile

DD had a disastrous afternoon yesterday, about 4 accidents in the space of about two hours confused That's about the same amount of accidents as she had had in the previous ten days! No idea what was going on, but she hasn't had any today! Think they like to keep us guessing. And not relaxing too much wink

MrsPennyapple Thu 20-Jun-13 16:04:22

Wow, a poo on the potty! DD not upset particularly, but still not too sure about the whole idea. She seems to think it's worth it for the chocolate buttons though smile

MrsPennyapple Wed 19-Jun-13 12:14:52

DD has been wandering around semi-naked and has done a few unprompted wees in the potty, plus a few elsewhere. After questioning whether we'd started too early, I'm now reassured that she does understand what we're trying to do. She still gets distressed about pooing in the potty though, so I'm not pushing her on that just now, it's early days yet.

motherofvikings Wed 19-Jun-13 11:21:06

Hooray! :-)

Just need to stop dd waking 2x a night now! (No idea what that's about!) hmm

Brilliant! Must have been a good night for it, DD's nappy was dry this morning too grin That's the first time it has happened without her going to the loo in the night smile 12 hours without a wee, that is better than DH can manage hmm

motherofvikings Wed 19-Jun-13 08:05:12

Dd went to bed with no nappy last night. she was dry! grin

Feeling very proud! Which I realise is daft because night time dryness is pretty much controlled by having enough of a hormone not me or dd smile

mikkii Mon 17-Jun-13 22:58:04

DD2 is dry most mornings, but if I take her out of nappies, I need to get up when she fusses, rather than trying in bed as long as I can ignore her!

I am trying to use up some of my stockpile, and revisit after our holiday.

No, not yet, she is dry if she gets up in the night and goes for a wee, so I'm kind of assuming she can't hold it quite that long. I also selfishly don't want to encourage night waking so going to hold off on that for a bit I think. She is closer than DS though, bit crazy since he is 20 months older!

motherofvikings Sun 16-Jun-13 20:35:24

Excellent work whispers dd! smile

Have you tried no nappy at night too? I'm going to give it a go once dd's sheets have dried - probably tomorrow night!

<must remember to buy more sheets!>

Hi all, back from holiday grin

Sounds like everyone is doing really well, maybe we need a graduates thread confused

DD is doing brilliantly, she is no less reliable than DS now hmm I managed two flights with two children not 100% reliable and there were no accidents grin I think I deserve a gold medal, never mind the children wink My nerves are shot though, DD developed an amazing knack of announcing she needed a wee every time the seatbelt light came on hmm

motherofvikings Sat 15-Jun-13 06:50:37

Well done! smile

Fairly similar here. Dd also managed a day out/ christening laot weekend with no accidents! smile

She is doing a lot more unprompted - although when she starts grabbing her bits I usually take her. We have had a few wee accidents in the last week but she is way better with poo now! smile

I think she is also dry at night now, I'm going to wait a few morem days (monitoring morning nappies for wetness) a d then ditch the night ones! confused

motherofvikings Sat 15-Jun-13 06:49:56

Well done! smile

Fairly similar here. Dd also managed a day out/ christening laot weekend with no accidents! smile

She is doing a lot more unprompted - although when she starts grabbing her bits I usually take her. We have had a few wee accidents in the last week but she is way better with poo now! smile

I think she is also dry at night now, I'm going to wait a few morem days (monitoring morning nappies for wetness) a d then ditch the night ones! confused

mikkii Fri 14-Jun-13 23:43:28

Hello all, how has it been? We seem to have cracked it. Last weekend we went o a christening, tried to g DD2 to wear a nappy, no chance a wee before we left, drive 15 minutes, arrive at church, 1 hour 20 minutes in church drive home, wee, get bus, 40 minutes on the bus, spend day at a party in a bar. I took her for 2 wees, but cousins and DD1 mayso have taken her, bus home.

I was thrilled.

Last night a big poo on he toilet, it seems like we are really getting something.

motherofvikings Fri 07-Jun-13 14:09:30

have a lovely holiday! grin

dd managed an unprompted poop this morning! smile
but then got caught short by one just before we left to drop ds off at preschool.

must remember that raisins are not a good idea! confused

Hi all, just checking in before we go on holiday tonight and I am Internet free for a week, eek! shock wink

I agree about your dd, Penny, I am sure that is a feature of training a younger child, I certainly think my DD's physical control is ahead of her mental readiness.

Not had a great few days, hopefully it improves for the next week confused

Good luck everyone, I'll be back in a week grin

MrsPennyapple Thu 06-Jun-13 16:05:31

I thought that too mother, she starts to wee but then realises, and holds it until she forgets again. Hopefully it's a sign that she physically has the ability and the muscle control, we just need to get her to make the mental connection.

motherofvikings Thu 06-Jun-13 15:58:28

Nah! This PT lark gets into your head and it becomes ALL you think about.
Or is that just me? blush

Penny- Sounds like she might be wee-ing, then stopping herself but not be quite sure yet about wee-ing in the potty so she keeps doing mini wees? Sounds like day 1 is t going too badly <crosses fingers>

MrsPennyapple Thu 06-Jun-13 14:24:38

Thanks mother. Two big wees in the potty and seven wet pairs of knickers today. Sometimes she just did a tiny wee in her pants, and then another tiny one ten minutes later. Other times she went an hour without doing anything. She also did a poo 50% in knickers, 50% in potty, but she got upset about doing it in the potty. I did my best to reassure her, told her what a good girl she was etc etc. She's off with MIL for a few hours now so at least I get to think about things other than wee and poo for a wile smile

motherofvikings Thu 06-Jun-13 12:07:11

The long awaited poop arrived at the children's centre... in the toilet!

Was super relieved as it would have been awfully big to scoop out if potty or pants! smile

Good luck penny! I did pants on day 1-3 as I didn't fancy washing multiple leggings etc.

MrsPennyapple Thu 06-Jun-13 09:05:42

Hello, and thank you for the welcome.

Whispers I spotted that your DD was around the same age as mine. Missed Mother's DD's age though when I was reading through, good to know there are others here starting at similar ages.

I'm so relieved that you don't think I'm utterly deranged for even trying! I think I am going to put DD in knickers and leggings this morning, so that she can feel the effect when she wees, but will put her on the potty every half hour or so. She's out with MIL this afternoon, so I'll put a nappy on her then.

I'm going to go to the shop while she's out, to buy a different potty, as this one is a bit of a rubbish shape - she managed to wee straight over the side yesterday, poor Dolly got it in the face.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now