DS 4, starts school in sept, keeps wetting self

(8 Posts)
Fresh01 Tue 21-May-13 22:23:01

DD2 did this to me for 9 months. Regular accidents as she couldn't be bothered to go, playing was more interesting. We had to make it more inconvenient to have an accident to stop it although at 5.5 she still often needs to be sent when doing a "wee dance"

She was 3.5 when we started making her take off her wet things, put them in laundry basket in utility room,, lift clean pants/socks/skirts off bench in utility room (we did help her dress) then she was handed kitchen roll to start wiping the puddle up and I did it properly after with anti-bac spray. Thankfully we have tiled floors downstairs. I was with her throughout the process so she wasn't left to sort it herself but she was made to be pro-active in helping sort the mess out. The accidents stopped in a few weeks when she got that she missed more playtime by not going to the loo.

Toilet training is a frustrating process.

jmjam Tue 21-May-13 14:24:20

Hi ExhaustTed, we seem to be riding a good wave at the moment. I (maybe cynically) know that it won't last forever but am enjoying it while I can. I too have tried both the non fussed reaction and the getting angry one, but neither makes any difference. So, for my sanity more than anything, I am sticking with the no reaction response. I still make him take his dirties upstairs as in my previous post, and am longing for the day it clicks. I have also realised that no matter what I say he will only do it when he is ready. I just hope it's before school in September! xxx

ExhaustTed Thu 16-May-13 07:33:53

I've just come here looking for help too. My 4 1/2 ds keep wetting his pants every day. I ask and ask him to go to the loo he refuses and just does it in his pants, not whole wee, just a big bit of it. He laughs. It's not funny. He also goes to the loo too. I have tried being proactive, I have also tried total ambivalence, I've tried lots of praise and ive tried getting cross. So far nothing is working so I'd love to know how you are getting on.

Chants73 Sat 04-May-13 08:31:21

Thanks jmjam.....that is a good plan. Perhaps I am babying ds too much so he is not taking responsibility.....

jmjam Fri 03-May-13 10:39:56

I'm with you on this one, see my similar post below. I ask my son to go before we leave the house, when we get home and before meals. But leave it up to him the rest of the time. My current tactic when he has wet himself is as follows; I walk him to the toilet, take his wet clothes off and sit him on the toilet and tell him that wee goes in the toilet. I then give him his dirty clothes for him to take upstairs and put in the washing basket, he then goes to his room to get new clothes and puts them on upstairs. I'm hoping that he will realise it is a lot easier and quicker to just go to the loo! I feel like we have been doing this forever though, hope you get it sorted quicker than us xxx

Chants73 Fri 03-May-13 07:35:30

Thanks for your reply. He is a little better at nursery, but still wets....and justifies it by telling me who else does. I guess at nursery they may be more proactive about reminding him than we are

Ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 02-May-13 23:29:52

I would be inclined to take the proactive approach. You pop to the loo every couple of hours and take him too. Just get in to a habit without it being a big thing. whats he like at nursery / playgroup ?

Chants73 Thu 02-May-13 20:58:26

Title says it all really. If you ask if he needs a wee he says no and shortly after wets himself.

Or just wets self because he is 'too busy'.

He thinks it is funny. We don't
Anyone got suggestions please? He trained relatively late (3+3) as he just was not interested. He had rewards for a couple of weeks when he started, and was doing well but has definitely regressed. Poos are fine and he is usually dry at night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now