DD2 dry at night before DD1 - WWYD

(2 Posts)
Noomininoo Tue 16-Apr-13 23:00:00

I have 2 DDs aged 5.11 and 2.11.

DD1 was a real nightmare to potty train. It probably took a good 10 months before I would consider her reliably dry during the day with accidents almost every day during those 10 months (sometimes 3-4 accidents a day in the early months). She is also still wet at night & up until a couple of weeks ago would wake up every morning with a soaking wet nappy. A couple of weeks ago we started waking her up just before we go to bed at 10.30-11pm for a wee & since then she is a lot better. We've had some dry nights & the nights where she's not dry there's only been a small wee in her pull-up. Given that she is still weeing at night approximately 50-60% of the time, however, I'm not quite ready to give up the pull-up just yet which I am fine with. I fully accept that its a hormonal thing & she'll get dry in her own time & I'm happy for her to stay in pull-ups for as long as that takes.

The problem I have, however, is DD2. Her experience with potty training couldn't be more different. She seems to have taken to it really quickly and, apart from the first couple of days, we've hardly had any accidents in the 2 weeks she's been out of nappies. This has also transferred to night time dryness & for the last week or so she's either been waking us up at 3-4am to go to the toilet or been going all night without a wee. This is great but I'm worried about the effect seeing her 'baby' sister out of pull-up before her will have on DD1 (especially as there is a fair bit of competition & sibling rivalry between them).

I don't want to take DD2 out of night time nappies if this is going to knock the confidence of DD1, especially as we've been making good progress recently but neither do want to risk DD2 regressing & becoming dependent on nightime nappies (does this happen...?).

So I have a dilemma, do I take DD2 out of night time nappies (& if so how do I soften the blow for DD1) or shall I keep DD2 in nappies a little while longer & hope that big sis catches up...? WWYD?

EverybodysSootyEyed Tue 16-Apr-13 23:02:40

i had the same problem but dd refused to wear a nappy and i didn't push it because it wouldn't have been fair on her

i chatted it through with ds and explained about different people taking longer etc. it did upset him at first but he doesn't think about it anymore

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now