Will go to potty on own but only when not wearing pants

(9 Posts)
getoffthecoffeetable Sat 02-Mar-13 19:37:33

DS (2yrs) has really got the hang of using his potty for wees and will just go on the potty without being prompted but only when his bottom half is naked. As soon as I put him in pants he forgets what he's doing and barely registers that he's wet.
Does anyone have any tips or is this normal and he'll pick up that he's wet soon?
He's not yet got the hang of pulling pants up and down yet but will tell me if he wants a wee (when not wearing pants).
Would great appreciate some advice please

Homebird8 Sat 02-Mar-13 22:15:23

Initially I'd go for the long T-shirt look wherever possible and then, if you really need something on his bottom end, try trousers or shorts without pants underneath. I had a similar thing with DS1 when potty training and he went commando for about 6 months. He just needed to be hanging loose as it were and he could do it no problem. We introduced pants later.

getoffthecoffeetable Sun 03-Mar-13 06:08:56

That's an interesting idea homebird it never occurred to me to try without the pants. He's at nursery 3 days a week, wonder if they'll be ok with me sending him without pants on? Will give the trousers no pants a try today! Thank you.

You could try teaching him how to pull pants up and down. But make it a game and not connected to the potty.

getoffthecoffeetable Sun 03-Mar-13 07:11:58

Thanks wannabe will have to teach him somehow and he dies respond well to playing. Will give it a try.
I always change him immediately if he has an accident. Do I need to be waiting until he tells me he's wet?

I would. Wirh DD1 it was the unpleasantness of being wet that finally made her go to the potty.

If he gets changed straight away then wheres the incentive? Its ok for him to pee himself and not disturb the fun hes having because mummy will just change him!

I only potty trained one child though. Maybe others might have more experience!

dancemom Sun 03-Mar-13 09:40:04

With dd I had to regularly remind her that it was pants and not a nappy, I would ping her knicker elastic gently or rub her bum cheeks and say, remember, no nappy, just to keep it in her mind until she got used to it.

getoffthecoffeetable Wed 06-Mar-13 17:50:11

Have been twanging elastic and pointing out the character on his pants and telling him not to wet the car/fireman Sam etc It's very hit and miss with the pants on. Is this normal?

Watto1 Sat 16-Mar-13 15:30:25

DD took a while to remember not to wee in her pants. I think I started a thread here about it! It was summer, so I put her in shorts with no pants on underneath and it seemed to work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now