Does it bother you that some Baby Changing Facilities are only placed in the Female toilets?

(5 Posts)
felish Sun 24-Feb-13 10:42:44

Hi, I'm a GCSE student studying child development and I would be extremely grateful if some of you beautiful mothers out there gave your opinion on my topic of discussion. I know this isn't really the correct section for baby changing facilities however, it was the closest I could find!! Please help me by just giving a simple opinion, Thanks! smile

GingerPCatt Sun 24-Feb-13 10:44:54

Yes it annoys me. I also think every public toilet should be required to provide changing facilities. I once had to change DS on the floor a very nasty public toilet in the Lake District. hmm

DianaTrent Sun 24-Feb-13 10:51:38

Yes, I am well past this stage with DD, but it annoyed me immensely.

KindleMum Sun 24-Feb-13 10:56:52

I can see that if space dictates you have to squeeze a changing table into one loo, then you're going to pick the ladies. But I've noticed that when loos are newly built or have a major refurb they're increasingly putting in a family loo/baby change that is accessible to all. That's an improvement.

As said upthread, the real bugbear is when they don't provide changing facilities at all. I think any restaurant/cafe over a certain size should have to. And council-run loos (here anyway) never seem to have a changing table and they have loads of space - how hard is it to fit a flip-down change area?

MadderHat Tue 26-Feb-13 22:59:37

The same facilities should be available to all parents.

Some fathers and women aren't comfortable about fathers using the one changing table in the ladies' room. (Fathers shouldn't be congratulated for doing the change, it should just be normal.)

It's not just in toilets, how about in changing rooms for swimming? In my local pool, there's a changing table and larger (for parent and children) cubicles in the ladies, but not in the gents.

I agree with KindleMum, there should be more changing facilities in general.

I love those places which have wider cubicles with wider opening doors for getting the pushchair in while a lone parent has a wee, separate from the accessible to wheelchairs toilet. They often have one lower sink for children to reach too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now