When are they 'ready'?

(5 Posts)
DeathMetalMum Fri 22-Feb-13 18:59:56

Dd has just turned 2 was hoping to do potty training when it was a little bit warmer. But she keeps asking for her nappy off. I take it off if she has recently pooed, which is usually not long before bedtime. She has only actually weed once without the nappy and wasn't really aware I don't think until she was wet. I didn't see her face so can't say for sure. How do you know when they are ready?

KD0706 Fri 22-Feb-13 21:12:59

With my DD we waited till she actually asked to have pants instead of nappies (another friends son asked to do wees on the potty).

The way I'm doing it was I waited till she actually wanted to potty train. It's worked well. Very few accidents. I sometimes remind her when we are out but two weeks into potty training she takes herself off to the potty in the house and asks to go when we are out.

I think she was probably physically ready before now but mentally it was right to wait.

I have a potty training book, I'll go and look what it says about readiness

KD0706 Fri 22-Feb-13 21:20:29

Right - this is 'she who must not be named'. It's what I would think of as the old fashioned method of taking toddler to the potty every fifteen minutes, as opposed to just reminding them and letting them take the lead (does that make sense?? Hope so!)

Here's what she calls the signs to watch for

1. Over 18 months of age
2. Nappy frequently dry when woken from lunchtime nap. Or dry napy a couple of hours since last nappy change.
3. Aware when doing poo. Eg going quiet, concentrating. Or pointing at nappy and saying poo or pee pee when they've done one.
4. Can understand and follow instructions eg go and fetch x or put y in toy box.
5. Eager to participate in taking off own clothes.
6. Can point to different body parts when asked.
7. Ability to sit and occupy themselves or concentrate for five to ten minutes with a toy, book or watching a video.

Hope that helps.

KD0706 Fri 22-Feb-13 21:23:11

Sorry - a third post in a row!

Why not try her. Give it a couple of days. You can always just put her back into nappies for a few months.

DeathMetalMum Fri 22-Feb-13 22:34:39

Well she shows all the signs mentioned. Goes and crouches down somewhere usually slightly hidden for a poo.
Might give it a try, forgot to mention I have dc2 due in three weeks so that will be a big change for her. She isn't really keen on the potty either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now