Potty trainig before new baby!

(14 Posts)
1789 Wed 16-Jan-13 14:52:30

Best advice I ever received was to put them in cloth nappies at home - they are really uncomfortable compared to disposables and they feel wet so kids want to be changed and want to wear pants. But, potty training was really important to me and I wanted DSs fully potty trained day and night by 2 (for environmental reasons and because the chemicals in disposable nappies really scare me).... which involved a lot of putting them on the loo and letting them be bare-bottom at home from 12-24 months. Everyone says that boys take longer, but I don't think this is true. The potty just has to be part of their life from about 12 months - even if they never do anything in it until around 18 months (e.g. if you're out and about, take them to the loo when you go and sit them on the loo). It seems silly to just introduce a potty one day when you decide it's time for potty training. This is also interesting:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kirsten-dirksen/who-decides-when-to-potty_b_265227.html

Shakeypain Tue 15-Jan-13 13:52:32

Hi all,

Ok, so my daugter will be 2 at the end of the month and we have just started the potty training process - started on Thursday last week but havent had much joy with her actually using the potty - she has been telling me when she has had a wee or other so thought she was ready but seems to be quite stressed about usuing the potty or the special toilet seat we have bought her - any advice?

scarecrow22 Tue 15-Jan-13 06:34:16

OP I am not at all a Gina Ford mum (not so much anti her, just too disorganised artistic wink) but her Potty Training in One Week book has a v g list to help you see if DD is ready, and suggestions for how you can begin 'Phase 1' (basically putting her on potty before bath/eve routine each night to get her sitting ?! even if just for a few secs to start with).
I'm in sim position - DD just 2 and baby no2 due April. Good luck

Clouise1626 Fri 11-Jan-13 12:58:26

Thanks. Shes lactoseintollerent so i think there will be a few poo accidents! Fun fun

Fresh01 Thu 10-Jan-13 16:53:41

Disney store will have Minnie Mouse pants but you may want some supermarket cheapies as well especially if you have to go through the poo in pants regularly, sometimes easier to chuck than clean other times they need cut off to avoid huge mess. Not all kids do this DD1 (i have tt 3 kids) never had a poo accident.

A good sign for mine has been is their nappy dry for a couple of hours then quite wet all at once? If you wait till this stage it seems slightly quicker. A friend of mine tried her DS too early and it was like following a drippy tap around, back in nappies and a few months later he had developed the muscles to hold on and it was much easier.

Don't worry too much about potty type as only my DD1 used a potty the other too went straight to toilet without a training seat but they were trying to copy an older sibling.

Toilet training requires lots of patience and deep breaths. No 2 kids do it the same way or in the same timeframe.

Clouise1626 Wed 09-Jan-13 22:09:41

Thanks for the advice. She loves minnie mouse so hopefully i can find some wee pants for her smile

BikeRunSki Tue 08-Jan-13 19:22:42

Somewhere on MN there 's a guide to "Potty Training Boot Camp". It's excellent. I potty trained DS when he was 2.8 and I was 5 months pg. We had a disastrous 4 days (despite Fireman Sam pants ) and gave up. A week later he told me he wanted to wear pants today, and that was pretty much it. I think it shows that the child in question really needs to be ready. It was lovely to have a few months off nappies though!

newby2 Tue 08-Jan-13 19:11:12

Oh and big girl peppa pig pants and vests which she chose before the training began- once we started we didn't go back though even when popping out. Put her on the potty before bed, getting up, offer hourly during the day. Good luck.xx

newby2 Tue 08-Jan-13 19:09:27

Hiya, just had a new baby and our daugther is now 2.5. We stayed in for around 4-5 days took her bottoms off and had the potty upstairs and downstairs. She took 2 days to be dry. Made a big fuss of her every-time she sat on (got Grandparents involved) gave chocolate rewards. Really easy. Night time still using pull-ups until dry for around a week.xxx

Clouise1626 Sun 06-Jan-13 21:02:53

Thanks, yeh she tells us when shes done a pee or a poo and knows the diffence between the too, i have also recently started to notice she holds the front of her nappy when shes done either. I think i will buy a potty at some point this week and have it around the house just so shes used to it being there and then see where we go from there.

plantsitter Sun 06-Jan-13 19:54:43

Honestly I would not put a time constraint on it because it's going to make everyone stress about it and then it will probably not work.

Does she seem ready? Is she telling you when she's done a poo or a wee? Have you had the potty hanging around for a bit so she gets used to it?

Once they are ready it can be a v quick process but I would rather start with a newborn and a child who wants to do it than pregnant and panicking about having her trained before the baby arrives.

lorisparkle Sun 06-Jan-13 19:26:21

when it comes to potties some children can get quite attached to one type. I tried to have a variety so this did not become a problem. I would really recommended the pottette plus a fantastic portable and adaptable potty. also I love our double toilet seat with the training seat within it.

lorisparkle Sun 06-Jan-13 19:22:27

children are such individuals when it comes to toilet training you can not toilet train a child who is not ready. I have known a very few children who are toilet trained at about 2 but the vast majority of children i know are 3. sometimes children regress when a sibling is born so think about that as well. I really regret trying ds1 too early but as I said some children can be trained early but whatever you choose keep it relaxed.

Clouise1626 Sun 06-Jan-13 14:32:06

Hi all, im looking for some advice! My daughter will be 2 in april and were looking to start the potty training process now in the hopes that she will be potty trained for July, when she will become a big sister! How realistic is this? Im in need of tips about introducing a potty and if there is a specific brand that would be better for her or is a potty just a potty. This is our first so we really have no idea, im also looking for any suggestions of books on the subject?
Hope someone can help! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now