Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

2 .5 and no interest in the potty

(11 Posts)
nellyjelly Wed 07-Nov-12 20:00:32

Thanks. Yes have done it once but tbh she was at nursery and sort of picked it up there with very little help from me. She was around 2 I think so I jad't even realised the window was open as it were.

DS just doesn't want to know.

WingDefence Wed 07-Nov-12 16:04:37

Oops I hope that doesn't sound as if I'd forgotten you've been through this before. I was just sharing what I did in case it helped smile

WingDefence Wed 07-Nov-12 16:03:39

Well I agree with what Brycie said as an approach, but it won't work if your child isn't ready. When I trained DS I remember reading/being told that if they don't seem interested, wait a few weeks then try again. A child won't train when you want them to be, it has to be when they're ready.

And I'd say that a child who shows minimal interest isn't ready but of course I don't know your DS grin

I prepped DS by buying him Pirate Pete's Potty which is a lovely book. We read that for a couple of weeks to get the message in his head before I started actually training. Then I printed off a free chart which we put gold stars on every time he used the potty (he also got a chocolate button for a poo!) and at the end he got a toy. I think the chart lasted 5-6 days so you may want to do it for longer. We wasn't having accidents after the first 3 days but we kept on with the chart until the end.

There is lots of potty training advice on the Internet if you search for it (I don't think I looked on here).

Good luck!

nellyjelly Wed 07-Nov-12 15:29:20

Thanks. Bit of a variance in approaches though! Eek. Still not sure what to do but replies all useful.

I may try the putting him on potty thing after meals as a starter.

WingDefence Wed 07-Nov-12 14:48:26

Each child is different and I think that on average boys potty train later than girls? confused

I didn't PT DS until he was 2yrs 8months and he was dry in pants within 3 days. He was just ready.

Try again in a few weeks time and try not to compare him to DD?

Brycie Wed 07-Nov-12 14:41:07

I'm so sorry I was speaking to you as if this was your first child and I was really patronising. I do apologise.

Brycie Wed 07-Nov-12 14:40:32

And if he watches telly, put the telly on after meals while he's sitting on the potty so he objects less or not at all. You only need to do it once or twice, they learn quickly that the potty doesn't eat them.

Brycie Wed 07-Nov-12 14:39:36

Yes, start a regime. Children / people nomally poo after they've eaten so sit him on the potty after meals and then whatever comes out, wee or poo, much congratulation and so on.

Don't just leave the potty around, it's not a toy, it's to be associated with going to the loo. If he uses it in the living room take it away in between.

Not showing interest is normal, and a good deal better than outright hostility. It doesn't mean he's not ready it means he's like - what a boring thing.

It's you that needs to teach him the association. Should only take a week.

Indith Wed 07-Nov-12 14:37:05

Just leave it. They are all different and many, many children are closer to 3 or even over 3 before they are ready.

nellyjelly Wed 07-Nov-12 14:33:54

Anyone?

nellyjelly Wed 07-Nov-12 11:37:45

Should I be worried? I leave the potty around and try and suggest he sit on it, he just refuses so I don't push it. He knows when he's pooed though and tells me but shows no other sign.

Am sure DD was out of nappies at this age. Should Imjust leave him to it, let him find his own way? Or do I need a regime? Any advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now