waterproof sheets for cotbed

(17 Posts)
glamourcats Sat 03-Nov-12 22:49:55

Hi does anybody know where I could get those waterproof sheets for a cotbed? I am about to start night time toilet training and have had a look around for these sheets but cant find any under £30! Can anybody help? Thanks

QTPie Sat 03-Nov-12 22:58:40

Have you tried Boots? I saw some in our local branch the other day.

Ponders Sat 03-Nov-12 23:02:57

there are lots out there if you google

what type are you looking for? terry top with PVC backing? do you wanted mattress-sized fitted ones or flat ones to whip out in the night?

Bluesatinsashes Sat 03-Nov-12 23:04:11

John Lewis' are under £30

MissFenella Sat 03-Nov-12 23:04:47
Eebs Sat 03-Nov-12 23:13:01

I have recently bought a Clevamama cotbed mattress protector from Amazon. It was 8.99 and has been brilliant. It is really soft, not at all 'crackly' like some cheap ones. Can be tumble dried. It has been tested by a night time wee so definitely works. Very happy with it.

glamourcats Sat 03-Nov-12 23:23:31

Thank you everyone for your replies....I was obviously looking in the wrong place! Ponders i'm not sure what type to go for. This is my first child so not too sure how night time training works yet. Do you have any recomendations? Oh and Eebs i did see that one on amazon but was unsure as have never heard of the brand before, but if you have had no problems with it then i might give it a try smile

Ponders Sat 03-Nov-12 23:32:53

you'll probably want a proper waterproof fitted cover for the mattress anyway, like the Clevamama one Eeebs mentioned

but you can also get smaller flat ones to put on top of that - either under the sheet, or on top but with another flat sheet tucked in on top of it, so that you can quickly change those layers in the night without stripping the whole bed

this Mothercare one is single bed sized, but assuming it doesn't have finished edges you could slice it into probably 3 separate pieces to cover the danger area smile

MrsShrek3 Sat 03-Nov-12 23:34:07

We had a hippychick one which lasted two children and still in good nick. Also had a dunelm one I think. Also good, and use those on single beds now for my cup-of-tea-spiller and occasional wetter wink

MrsShrek3 Sat 03-Nov-12 23:36:17
MrsShrek3 Sat 03-Nov-12 23:37:07

Mayweed is an autocorrect failblush
I (mis) typed matress

Ponders Sat 03-Nov-12 23:37:23

also, Huggies Dri-Nites make disposable bed protectors

before you actually commit to proper night time training with no nappies at all, have you tried eg Huggies Night time pull-ups?

Ponders Sat 03-Nov-12 23:38:49

I love your mayweed covers, MrsShrek - autocorrect is such a boon smile

glamourcats Sat 03-Nov-12 23:58:58

Thanks mrsshrek I will look into your mayweed covers smile And thanks for the advice ponders. Originally I was planning to go straight into no nappies for night time. I had heard from some people that using pull ups would just confuse ds. But other people highly recommend them. So i'm a bit confused now. Are the pull ups just like nappies? .....this potty training business is so confusing!!

MrsShrek3 Sun 04-Nov-12 00:05:20

Oi, stop pickin on my rubbish iPhone grin
We use pull ups with ds2 (teaspiller and occasional wetter mentioned earlier) ds1 and dd didn't have them and never wet the bed, once dry they stayed dry. Think that might tell you something (other than that he's a lazy bugger, I mean) re the confusion. That said, iirc there's a developmental thing that makes them stay dry, and it can appear at any age up to about 10 - google and I'm sure you'll find info. Might help? or confuse you further

Mspontipine Sun 04-Nov-12 00:11:30

Pull ups are like nappies, so child will not feel wet. They sometimes need to feel wet to know not to do it - if they wee and still feel dry they may as well! A bit like trying to do day training with a nappy. Ds was dry in day for ages but still had a heavy pull up sometimes in morning. It took the knowledge he had no nappy on any more and 2 wet nights for it to click permenantly - so he was ready. Much longer than that I'd have left it again till a bit older.

I put layers of pamper bed mats under him so I could whip off layers in night if necessary - they're brilliant - they still come out now - if he's feeling sick etc (he's now 9!)

PigeonPie Sun 04-Nov-12 08:00:38

I have recently bought draw sheets from Age Concern for my 6 year old. They go under where he's most likely to sleep, but I leave the pillow area free (so start the sheet about 50cm down the bed).

Much easier to wash as they tumble dry and easy to change the bed. We do also have waterproof mattress protectors on the DS's beds but the draw sheet is what I have to wash (a lot!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now