How I was treated by Tesco for putting my son on the potty!

(280 Posts)
bubble30 Tue 10-Jul-12 20:34:14

My son turned 2 in May and we are mid potty training. Been in to places like Boots and M&S and got fold away potty out in store for my son to have a wee. I've also used it in Tesco with no complaints from them. This morning I went in and my son was crying 'wee wee'. Got him out of the buggy and put him on the potty - I wasn't in the middle of an aisle and went t clothes section where we'd be more hidden away as that section was close by to us. My son did a wee but come to get him back in the buggy and he had the most hideous tantrum. Once I got himm back in the buggy, I stood up to find 2 members of managerial staff stood over me. They told me that there was a toilet in the store where I should have taken my son to. I explained that he's just started potty training and when he needs a wee it has to be then and there and I don't have time to get him to a toilet. They told me they undestood that but that there was a toilet I should really have used. So again I explained that I don't have time to get him to the toilet. The woman then said 'it's not nice for our customers to see, it's not nice for your son and now you've just caused a big scene in the store'. I said 'well now you've made me feel absolutely rubbish' and they both walked off. I walked out of the store but thought 'no I'm not having that' and I went back and gave it to them both barrels that I was disgusted with the way I'd been treated, I'd been talked to very rudely and spoken to like I was a child myself. The senior manager came down and was very apologetic and I asked her of Tescos policy was that if there's a mother with a tantrumming child, do you train your staff to go over and tell the mother she's created a big scene in the store. She was very apologetic about the way I'd been treated. I'm still fuming. I've used the portable potty in other shops without complaints and I've seen other mums do the same in shops too - that's the whole purpose of the portable potty being invented. I just wanted people to know how badly Tesco have acted in this instance towards a mother potty training her 2 year old. Can anyone else recommend best places to post to make sure Tesco know I'm letting people know about this? Thanks.

Pumpster Tue 10-Jul-12 20:49:09

Barking!

FrankWippery Tue 10-Jul-12 20:49:51

Who on earth puts their child on a potty in the middle of a shop? If potty training is taking such a while that you need a potty wherever you go I'd imagine your child isn't ready for it.

Jux Tue 10-Jul-12 20:49:58

I would dash dd to the loos as we didn't have a folding potty.

I hate Tesco, but on this occasion, they do have a point. I don't think I know anyone who would be happy to see a child having a wee in the middle of a shop, let alone even think of doing that with their own children.

wigglesrock Tue 10-Jul-12 20:49:58

How or where do you empty the potty? I've never seen a child use a potty actually in the shop and I've got 3. What would have happened if someone had tripped over/emptied the potty - would you have cleaned it up?

I've brought a potty with me and used it in the actual toilets, they are portable for this reason. To use in the car, in the toilets, outside etc not to use in the actual shop.

LegoAcupuncture Tue 10-Jul-12 20:50:03

Thats grim, really. I agree with Tesco.

You shuld have at least taken him to the baby section, amongst the nappeis and wipes wink

Poledra Tue 10-Jul-12 20:50:15

I'm with Tesco on this one - I do not want toddlers weeing in the middle of the supermarket. And I speak as someone whose DH has done a sprint to make Usain Bolt proud with a small child tucked under his arm to get to the toilet in time.

zzzzz Tue 10-Jul-12 20:50:20

In the toilets or in the car park NOT in a shop.shock

thebetachimp Tue 10-Jul-12 20:50:33

This reminds me of the time I saw a woman change her baby's nappy on a table in Nando's.

EverybodysDoeEyed Tue 10-Jul-12 20:50:40

i loved the portable potty

BUT we stayed at home for the first few days and we only went out once I was confident he could give me a bit of warning. It was always enough to find the toilets/duck behind a tree etc

I would never get the porta potty out in a shop. If he gives you so little notice he is not ready

to those wondering what happens to the wee - the porta potty has a bag with absorbent pad. you tie it up and lob it in the back of the buggy for disposal at earliest convenience!

Herrena Tue 10-Jul-12 20:50:45

I've never seen anyone do this and it sounds pretty unpleasant for the rest of the world to have to view TBH.

MunumMunum Tue 10-Jul-12 20:51:06

Yuck YABVU.

Herrena Tue 10-Jul-12 20:51:15

thebetachimp shock

MadameOvary Tue 10-Jul-12 20:51:26

Why would you take potty training out of the house confused

HomeEcoGnomist Tue 10-Jul-12 20:51:56

Gross
You surely aren't trying to train your DS just to wee wherever he happens to be?
It's clearly too soon for him, leave him for a few more months. And ditch the revolting portable potty, not necessary

A phrase i never though I'd be writing: Tesco managers were right

mogandme Tue 10-Jul-12 20:52:00

I potty trained current charge (am a nanny) at 2 years 3 months, and he was dry within 2 weeks - we also continued to go out and about as I felt I would effectively have to potty train him twice as he wouldn't be used to asking or would get fixated on toys/playing and forget to say.

So I disagree with :
He's too young
You shouldn't go out and about

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yes you should post this all over the interwebz so people can see how fucking loopy you are

Seriously though how self entitled. You are not the only person in the world with a 2 year old, you are not the first person to potty train a 2 year old and no one wants to see that 2 year old pissing in the aisles of a supermarket

I have never seen anyone doing this and If I did I would be straight over to tell them exactly how scummy they are

DeepPurple Tue 10-Jul-12 20:52:32

I agree with Tesco. Use the toilet or use the potty outside. I'm speaking as a mother who has just potty trained my DD.

Haemadoots Tue 10-Jul-12 20:52:37

Sorry but I have never had to get dd's to pee in a shop aisle, use a pull up as others have suggested if he can't wait, can totally see tescos's point though.

MadameOvary Tue 10-Jul-12 20:52:51

I mean, if your child wasn't ready to go and couldn't hold it in, shoudn't they still be in pull-ups?

Boggler Tue 10-Jul-12 20:52:59

I'm with tesco 100%

I think letting your son wee in the middle of a shop whatever they are selling is gross. Portable potties are for out and about but not for in shops, where's your common sense what would you have done if your son had knocked it over - wee all over the floor, customers slipping and sliding in wee! If your son's potty training is at such a delicate stage that he can't hang on you shouldn't be attempting to take him into big shops - or if you do make your first stop the toilet before you start.

YABU!

Vagaceratops Tue 10-Jul-12 20:53:23

Yuck!
YABVVVVVU

Mama1980 Tue 10-Jul-12 20:53:30

I'm sorry but i agree with tescos here-I have never seen this and would never do it. If your son cannot wait 2 minutes then he should be in pull ups or isn't ready IMO. I potty trained my ds at 2.6 and never
Used a porta potty. However I do think tescos should not have spoken to you like that and I hope the rest of potty training goes smoothly.

DeepPurple Tue 10-Jul-12 20:53:35

thebetachimp shock

rainbowinthesky Tue 10-Jul-12 20:54:02

shock I cannot believe anyone would this acceptable. I have never ever seen this. I am glad they took a stand. I would hate to see this whilst shopping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now