I just put my 7 month dd on the potty ...

(56 Posts)
sedgiebaby Mon 16-May-11 11:06:17

and she immediately started to bear down and did a huge poo within a minute of sitting there.

I'm a clueless first time mum, my mum told me to sit her on the potty at nappy changes as she did this and I was dry at 12 months. Its the second time I sat her on the potty. I was rather surprised, I'm guessing it has to be a fluke.

I've had no time to read up on this but I heard no attempts until 18 months, it cant do any harm if I continue doing the foregoing this early can it?

brettgirl2 Tue 02-Oct-12 09:43:09

My 8 month old does most of her poos on potty and also deliberately wees on it. I dont understand people who say 'whats the point' I mean whats the point in having horrible pooey nappies if there's no need?

I am also hoping it will help with real potty training. Dd1 hated pooing in a nappy and it lead to her being really anxious about going.

sedgieloo Fri 21-Sep-12 08:43:07

Well I took her nappy off 2nd week of August she was 22 months and no accidents until 3 weeks later. That was just last week just a wee. Its fine since. I still put a nappy on her for naps but more often than not it is dry. So I am quite pleased with how it went. I did take the advice to commit, take the nappy off and not put it on again (except for sleeps) so as not to confuse, and I think this really helped although we had about 15 toilet stops the first day and being out for the day, a very hot day and heavily pregnant I was cheesed off but it quickly got less.

babyrose Fri 21-Sep-12 08:12:11

How are you getting on now? Ive started my 2.4 year old and he is doing well but just in the house so far and ive just red this, I think you are doing a great job well done!

sedgieloo Fri 21-Sep-12 07:38:59

Just to add that when we did come to potty training, not mega early but at 22 months, there were no accidents. Well I had one wee 3 weeks later but that was all. So I think it made it easier and sped it up a little bit, also we haven't dealt with poos in the nappy since 7 months, well only occasionally - one a month? So cleaner and saved a lot on nappies.

sedgieloo Fri 21-Sep-12 07:36:47

Hi Iburntthecakes. Oh I do not know really. I didn't do anything before 7 months, when she could sit up and I could perch her on the potty whilst I just laid out a fresh nappy etc and nappy change times. When I posted my question I did read about EC having not heard about it before, I watched some online videos etc. and thought - nah not for me! I did not really do nappy free time as such. But I sort of get the point about newborn babies tending to soil at nappy change time because of an instinct not to soil their beds? And this instinct perhaps being lost when we just persist with continuously putting them in nappies.

I am about to have a new baby, I don't think I will start any earlier this time around, I might bear in mind some of the points EC proponents make but I don't think I am brave or eco friendly enough to really go down that route.

Iburntthecakes Tue 18-Sep-12 10:00:16

Thanks for this thread. It's answered several questions I've had! We've been trying this with DD who is now 7 weeks. I'm amazed how easily she takes to it even though she's so tiny. She tends to poo many times a day but I would say we catch 90% at night and maybe 50% in the day.
Can I ask a question - we're doing an in between sort of EC, using nappies and not worrying if we're out but I'm worried she might get confused about what she's doing. The EC people talk about babies being 'trained' to use nappies and I worry if we do too good a job that she might start being unhappy going in a nappy which is necessary at times. Im not really prepared to do without completely as endless floor cleaning wouldnt really be my thing! It sounds as if you didn't have this problem but I wondered if you had any thoughts about it having had much more experience.
Also, how long did you hold her over a potty - she'll sometimes strain for 10minutes plus and my back doesn't like it so she often ends up back in a nappy and we have to change her again 10 minutes later. Did you find that improved over time?
Thanks!

medicmommy Fri 14-Sep-12 11:49:47

We have done the same, although from 8 months. She pees first thing in the morning when she wakes up. Some music plays as soon as she pees and seems to love that. She has also pooped once. I also put her on the potty before bath time in the evening.
DH is not interested though (he doesn't take her in the morning when he is looking after her) so I don't think we are progressing, she is just enjoying the music coming from the potty for now.

My friend always started early and it seemed to work for her. Her first was trained before 18 months and her second seems to be getting on well and she is 13 months old now.

jazzandh Thu 13-Sep-12 20:26:05

We did the same as Sedgie with DS2 he's out of nappies in the day now at 22 months too.

Not difficult at all, and since 8 or 9 months have more or less been able to go out and about without having to change a dirty nappy. We only had wet ones apart from maybe a handful of occasions in all that time. Well worth it!

Good for you the earlier they are comfortable with a potty the better. I am having real problems at the moment with potty training, one of the reason i think is because i have waited too long.

sedgieloo Mon 03-Sep-12 18:48:22

1944girl, exactly what my mum says. She reckons I was dry at about a year, I actually did not believe her thinking she was exaggerating but maybe not.

I think it is a good economical and stress free way which is in between the EC method and the waiting and waiting until they are basically asking to use the loo when they are 2-3 years or older. But to be fair she was practically asking by 22 months, saying 'weewee is coming', so I thought we would be OK. I'm just glad to have it sorted before the next baby is born in a few weeks.

1944girl Sun 02-Sep-12 21:07:04

My mother had five children and used this early potty method with all of us.She reckoned we were all out of nappies during the day by 18 months, she said she had me -the oldest-dry and clean just after my first birthday.I can still rememer her sitting my youngest siblings on a tiny potty when new born.This was the 1950s when all used cloth nappies so reducing the washing of them was the reason.
I had my two both boys clean and dry day and night by 2 years old.It was cloth nappies then as well-early 70s.
My grandchildren brought up in disposables took a little longer.

Excellent thread- has inspired me to try with my 9mo dS from tomorrow. He is usually very regular

sedgieloo Sun 02-Sep-12 20:54:06

Just updating to say I was able to get her out of nappies in the day at 22 months with no difficulties and no accidents. I dont meed to remind her ahe asks even if swimming or in the bath. I think it was worth getting her used to the potty early, and saves a bit of money i probably will do the same again with next baby.

muslimah28 Tue 13-Sep-11 21:18:57

iPod also to blame for slimed, should read kind of!

muslimah28 Tue 13-Sep-11 21:17:47

There is a sign for toilet - we do baby sign- it's when you stuck your middle finger out and hold all other fingers in a fist slimed like you're swearing lol and then you point to your shoulder wih hand in that position. If that makes no sense at all, there are websites that show u, on iPod so can't link but you can google BSL sign toilet. I think in ASL the sign is different also, more like waving, but can't remember it as well.

shineypenny Mon 12-Sep-11 22:32:54

Wow! I've just read your thread and it sounds like you're doing really well. My two are both well out of nappies now, but I wondered if you have thought of baby signing? This is where you sign the word for potty to your baby (not sure if there is an official sign, but you could make one up?) and, hopefully, your baby will learn the sign and sign to you when she needs the potty. We had some success with signing with our daughter when she was little, although sadly we didn't teach her a word for potty. Good luck

muslimah28 Mon 12-Sep-11 22:16:22

Sedgie I've been fOllowing yr progress over the months and I just wanted to say how impressed I am. You've done what i was aiming for, early toilet training rather than full blown ec. The prob I've had is that altho I've been putting 16mo ds on the toilet since he was 8mo - we had a potty pause in that time tho for a couple of months- he still hasn't produced a wee or poo sad recently ive been putting him on the loo once he's started pooing but then when on loo he stops. still, cleaning him after a poo is so much easier on the toilet than dealing with wipes and cotton wool. So I'm very pleased eith the slow progress we've made. But i do wish he'd just wee or poo on the toilet too!

maygirl Sat 10-Sep-11 00:19:09

Hi sedgiebaby, sounds great! Same as rarerthantigers here, DS and DD all poos in potty from tiny, ds out of nappies in day 19mths and DD totally out of nappies 17mths.
As for next steps, I just started to offer potty/toilet at all nappy changes and after naps, like you're doing. Then DD started to still be dry around the time i'd expect to need to change a nappy, so would take her for a wee knowing must have to go, and put the dry nappy back on. I'd do this even if we were out and about, so she got used to using other toilets, and we saved nappies. If I needed the loo myself I'd take take her too, as we were in there! Around 1yr both DC began to be able to say 'wee wee' while going on the potty, and progressed to saying it before started to wee. Once they could communicate things really took off.
If we were staying in I'd leave nappy off most of the time, (couldn't face the battles floydie!) and they began to let me know when wanted to go, or would go and sit on potty themselves. With DD I started to make short trips out to park or school run nappy free if I knew she'd recently had a wee and we'd be 'safe'! Both children never let me know if needed a wee if they had a nappy on, it was like they assumed I wanted them to use it! Bare bum and they would ask to go! Both were dry after naps a while before out of nappies, so I stopped using a nappy at nap times. With DD when got to stage of only 1-2 nappies a day I stopped using them and we take a potette out and about with us. WIth DS it was his nursery who suggested he sounded ready to be taken out of nappies, I didn't really know when to take this step with my pfb blush !
When we're out DD just usually needs to go when I do, so mostly use toilets. If she doesn't need to go she will not let me undress her or won't sit down, she will never just 'try' for me, like before going out somewhere! I have to trust her!
Floydie the babybjorn potty is small and stable, or a toilet seat insert would be fine at your DDs age- might like being grown up!

sedgiebaby Tue 06-Sep-11 16:01:33

Thank you for the encouragement rarer than tigers!

Floydie - I have two but like my plain white poundshop one. Its a nice snug fit! When you try it, my tip is, put her feet flat on the ground to encourage things, and give her something to play with - you just never know she may get it right away or she may jump straight off as happened with my friend but worth a try - why not.

FloydieDoydie Tue 06-Sep-11 13:26:55

Any recommendation as to the type of potty that would be most comfortable for a smaller tot?

My DSD is 14 months, and detests having her nappy changed with a fiery vengeance (also getting dressed and having nails cut - think the real issue is being restricted - although loves having her teeth brushed) so maybe she might like a go at this.

Would prefer one in a nice colour though - don't like blancmange pink! smile

LieInsAreRarerThanTigers Tue 06-Sep-11 12:59:26

Well done Sedgie, I applaud you. How can anyone think it is easier to get squashed poo out of (particularly girls') genitals than to sit a baby on the potty a few times a day? And as you say, the cost, the waste, the soreness...nappy multinational brainwashees, I say.

I too followed my mum's advice and people are astonished time and time again to hear that with each of them (one boy one girl) I barely had to deal with another dirty nappy after 8 months.
My daughter was out of nappies in the day by 2, son by 2.4, but I wasn't so bothered about the weeing really.

Keep up the good work and just pop her on the pot whenever it's convenient for you. smile

sedgiebaby Sun 04-Sep-11 20:08:39

Quick update with us for those who are interested. DD is now 11 months, I started to see that she was only wanting to go for a poo after breakfast and dinner just before her bath, normally she will do a wee as well but I'm not so worried about the wees right now. We also try again after her bath, when she almost always does a big wee. The result being I normally use 3 nappies in 24 hours, just for wees.

As well as cheaper, I find its soooooo much easier and cleaner as she will not keep still when I'm changing her and this isn't fun with a dirty nappy. Not sure of my next steps if anyone has any ideas?! I'm in no hurry but thinking if she starts to be dry after a nap (something I'm starting to notice) I may pop her on the potty at this time also.

I don't think this is 'air on her bits' making her go, because she doesn't wee when she has a bare bum (not that I do much nappy free time, but sometimes or of course when changing) unless she is on the potty.

idlevice Fri 26-Aug-11 12:46:18

The theory from hardcore EC is that yes, air on the bits does make them want to go as naturally as young babes they have an inbuilt sense not to soil their mother, as going back to when we were animals young babies would have been carried around all day by the mother & held out away from mother to go to the toilet on the ground, & it is only through more modern ways of civilisation that babies learn to ignore this & have to re-learn it when toilet training - whereas EC capitalises on it in the first place.

Might partly be the sensation of air on her bits.

Nephew was a nightmare to change as everytime the nappy came off he decided to take a wee! HV said that boys have this reaction to the air.

vincenta Fri 05-Aug-11 13:07:21

Well done!
My mum also suggested my to start potty training when my baby would sit up straight by himself, I started at 7 month.
Firstly mum advised me to put Daniel on potty after sleeps, and it worked very well.Then when he was 13 month old he refused to sit on potty and I just take off our potty ang give him some time, afterwards we started again.My mum told that I started to use potty at 12 month and my mother in law said the same thing about my hubby.
My son take his time when I put him on the potty if he wanted he wee or poo if not then afterwards he did some nice poo on my kitchen flour.I should say this flour seen a a lot of various poos and wees.
Then I tried other technique I suggested do wee together, I put his potty opposite our toilet and he enjoyed it a lot, afterwards he started to tell when he is ready to do wee.
Now he is 27 month and we use nappies only when we are going out-shopping, museum, playground etc.visits)because it is easier.
Even at night he is dry, the best thing is remind him to do his before sleep weesmile
There always be people who will think that potty training is impossible so early,also tehre will be people who will think that start potty training at 3 years its too late.Every toddler is different and what work for one will not work for other.
Early potty training will be rewarded afterwards but at the begginig there will be a lot of accidents and wees and poos in very different places.Just take it easy and don't forget to laugh and smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now